"You want to know what's bothering me?" I ask angrily. "SH!" I hear Ms. Brooks yell from the front of the room. The room quiets down even more. "I can't tell you here." I say. I stand up and walk to the front of the room. "Ms. Brooks, may I be excused from class for a moment?" I ask. "Sure." she says with a surprising smile. I wave to Luke just as I walk out the door, and watch him get up. I lean against the wall near the lockers and wait for him to come out. The door swings open, nearly hitting me, and out walks Luke. He turns his head, sees me, and then closes the door.

"You want to know what's bothering me?" I ask again. "You are. You're bothering me. You were so nice to me when we were working on our project, and at the party, and then on the drive home. But then, after we were in the lab, you suddenly got angry and told me you needed a break from the project and me like I'm too much of a burden for you. I don't want to be a burden for you. But Dylan came to me this morning and told me he was sorry. Then he kissed me. And I let him. Because he explained to me that he really is a good guy, and I believe that. It's none of your damn business what happens between the two of us. We're not friends, you're not my brother, and you're definitely, nor ever will be, my boyfriend. So back off. You want to play with my feelings like that, don't expect me to still be here when you act nice again." I say, and walk back into the classroom. That felt good to get out.

Luke follows me back into the classroom and sits down in his seat, a stunned expression plastered to his face. I don't want to go back over there and work on my project with him, so I simply work on it by myself in my own seat. Luke doesn't bother me once or try to persuade me into coming back over with him. Maybe he gets that I really don't want anything to do with him, no matter what I said or thought in the past. I'm done with him and the drama that comes along.

After class is over, I pack up my things and go through the rest of the day until lunch, where I spot Dylan sitting with Tyler, Luke, Alyssa, and the same girl from the party that told me I could play volleyball with them. They laugh and talk, like most popular people do, and something about it makes me feel intimidated. I normally get all tongue tied when it comes to talking to boys, but it doesn't seem that way with Luke. I find him easy to talk too.

I take a deep breath and make my way towards their lunch table. Eventually, fear overpowers bravery and I begin to turn around when Dylan catches my eye and waves me over. I press my lips together in a tight line, take a deep breath, and continue to walk over to the table. Dylan points to the seat in front of him, which just happens to be the one next to Luke.

Perfect.

I let out a quiet sigh and take a bite of my cafeteria pizza. Its Pizza Wednesday, so everybody but Alyssa has pizza. "Too much fat and grease. You really shouldn't eat it, Aubree." Alyssa whines to the blonde. She flips her long blonde ponytail and sets down her pizza. "Sorry." she whispers, but Alyssa doesn't seem to here her. I restrain myself from rolling my eyes and making a big deal out of taking the next bite of pizza.

I see out of the corner of my eye Alyssa glaring at me. "Why are you even sitting over here, Ariel? Who invited you?" she asks. "I did." Dylan says, shifting his position in his seat to face Alyssa who is sitting next to him. All eyes go to Dylan. "What?" he asks, chuckling. "I can't invite a pretty girl to sit at our lunch table?" he asks and I feel his foot brush mine. I feel my cheeks become inflamed with heat and stare down at my food.

"Nothing about her is pretty." Alyssa says. My stomach twists up and my face stays its shade of deep pink. "Alyssa!" Tyler and Aubree say at the same time. Dylan just gives her a disgusted look. Of course Luke says nothing. He will always agree with Alyssa. And she's right. "Shut up, Alyssa. Come on, Ariel. Lets get out of here." Dylan says. He stands up, tosses his lunch in the garbage, and stretches out his hand.