Part 5: The Vega Effect (2)

Start from the beginning

Latisha gasped in amazement.

"Now," Ashuria prevailed upon her new adoring fan, "supposing you tell the nice Corporal what he needs to know? What's the situation with the colonies?"

"Oh? Oh yes..." Latisha took a seat opposite Scander and laid a round, silver device on the table. Activating it produced a hologram of various charts, graphs, and reports.

"I assume you've read the general reports, sir," Latisha began. "Obviously, those discount the Outpost, since none of us ever stay long enough to be documented as settlers. We're always shuttling back and forth from the Milky Way, and at any rate, none of us is actually making families and settling in, if you know what I mean. We would like you to begin your investigation in the settlement of Unigivla, on the far side of the planet. It is from there that the data for the High Command's reports originates, and it is that settlement in particular that we have not heard from like any of the others."

"How many others are there?" Scander asked, scrolling through the data in the hologram.

"We've tried at least three other settlements, but after Unigivla, they all moved into the Outpost," Latisha answered. "Hence the corrupted data."

"Corrupted?" Ashuria asked.

Latisha shrugged, "The census system we have cannot keep track of the population here in the Outpost in the same way it does in the settlements. With so many people living here, the system knows that there are humans on the planet, but it cannot count them."

"Have the medical experts ruled out biological or natural causes?"

Latisha scrolled until she found the projection she needed. "Autopsies revealed nothing out of the ordinary—only the manifesting systems made it seem like the bodies were reacting violently for no reason. We've sent out probes and taken samples, but we can find nothing there that was not exactly like it was everywhere else."

Scander shook his head as he surveyed the indeterminate findings. "What is it exactly that the Authority wants me to find?" In his mind, Scander added, And how do they expect me to succeed where teams of experts have failed?

Latisha looked at him with adulation in her eyes. "We've heard of your reputation, Corporal. The High Command sent you because they trusted your word more than they trust our readings and our findings. You go out there, see what there is to see, and report back to the High Command what you find. Who knows, maybe you'll see something no one else thought to place any significance on."

Scander shook his head as he surveyed the data. He was expecting an empty planet with nothing but corpses, where he'd have to be the one to figure out the plan of action and the solution. This was more like begging scraps from someone else's dinner, like looting the pockets of the dead after raiders came through. This was overkill—and, for all anyone knew, possibly suicide.

"Let the Council know that I'll be departing in the morning for Unigivla," he told the young lab technician.

Latisha nodded. "I'll bring the skimmer at first light."

Scander glanced at Ashuria. "Wait a minute," he said, "you think you're coming with us?"

"Well, of course," Latisha faltered. "Neither of you can pilot a ship, right? You'll never make it to the other side of the planet any other way."

Scander opened his mouth to protest, but one death-glare from Ashuria put an end to that idea. "I'd sooner ride a ship piloted by an android!" He snapped. "I can't allow you to come with us."

"But I've wanted to see Unigivla ever since it was founded!"

"Not till this whole mystery is cleared up. Once I figure out what the problem might be, you and your lab buddies can take all the trips you want."

"You need me!"

"Like I need an extra life to worry about! I'm not endangering any more lives than I have to! It's bad enough I have to take her ladyship along—"

"Hey!" Ashuria stuck her tongue out at him. The blueness—now that he knew to notice it—never failed to shock him. On any other person, he might blame it on food dye or berries, but if Ashuria really was a star child and a bluetongue, her tongue was naturally that strange shade.

"—but I am not a guide on a pleasure tour! You are staying, that's final!" He nodded with his mouth set in a firm line, ending the discussion.

Latisha looked like she might wilt under the pronouncement. Ashuria took over with diplomacy.

"Latisha, we are both very tired from our journey; I am sure the Council had already made preparations for where we will be staying?"

Latisha recovered herself and nodded. "It was only going to be for one person, but no doubt they have realizes there are two of you, and so have adjusted for that by now. I will take you there."

The young woman stood and led them to the door. Scander tapped Ashuria on the shoulder.

"That bluetongue of yours has a bit of silver in it too," he joked.

"Shut up!" Ashuria snapped in annoyance, dropping the formal patois and using the same casual tone she had first spoken in. "You could learn a thing or two about diplomacy, Corporal."

Scander shook his head. "In my line of work, there wouldn't be much use for it."

They followed Latisha down the hallway to a long building full of sleeping quarters. Latisha stopped by the fifth door on the right-hand side.

"This will be your suite," she said, giving them a key card. "Just press the keycard against the surface of the door to enter. It will lock when you leave the room, so you want to make sure you have the key with you when you leave—trust me," she chortled, "I can't tell you how many times I've locked myself out of my room."

Scander took the thin plastic wafer from her hands. "Thanks," he said quickly, cutting off her chatter, "I think Ashuria and I will rest and prepare for the trek to Unigivla."

"Oh," Latisha blinked, "Okay." She paused awkwardly, turned heel, and left.