Part 5: The Vega Effect (2)

Based on the following Suggestions:

Names: Scander, Latisha, Ashuria, Scarlet
Times: afternoon/early evening
Places: USO outpost on Vega 12, Unigivla
Objects: Numbers

~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~

Corporal Hawke watched the approach to Vega on the holographic exterior view map display on the table before him. It was not smooth, by any means, but the dragon "roared" into the atmosphere and sifted down through the layers without losing so much as a bolt head. They pulled into the spaceship dock of United States Outpost 12 and the voyage came to an end. Scander paused before the washroom mirror to make sure his dark, smooth hair and his uniform were still presentable after that long and tumultuous (albeit only at either end) journey. He walked down the hallway to the passenger ramp. A dark-haired beauty in stately robes of many colors awaited him there. Her hair was piled atop her head in a fine, wiry net. Large gems hung from her ears. Even in his best dress uniform, Scander felt a little under-dressed standing next to this woman. Had she been aboard the whole time? How had they never met?

"Hello," he offered his arm to the woman.

She looked at him, and Scander almost recoiled with a gasp—it was Ashuria! The lithe pilot had completely transformed her appearance. She looked now more like the inimitable Star People who would periodically arrive on Earth for one reason or another. The streaked face, the tousled hair—all of that had been completely replaced by an impeccable, demure creature who smirked at him in a familiar way.

"Thank you," she pronounced perfectly, taking his arm with all the grace of a courtier.

Scander continued to stare; he was used to thinking logically and analytically—but this defied all comprehension! "How—What..." Scander fought for the right question to get the explanation he wanted, "Why?"

Ashuria gave a little wriggle, communicating volumes about her discomfort with the outfit. "Never you mind," she hissed uncomfortably. "It's not by choice, I'll tell you that much! You planet-dwellers dearly love your pomp and circumstance!" She spoke with icy disdain in her voice. "Oh, and Corporal?" she turned her head and stared hard at him. Her eyes flashed glittering flecks—a further trait of star children, apparently— "Once we disembark, if you would be so kind as to refrain from mentioning my name in connection with piloting the Knightwing—ever."

Her furious tone compelled him to reply, "Yes, ma'am." Corporal Hawke wondered what she could possibly mean by keeping her flight skills a secret; didn't off-Earth people (like the Space Nationals she came from) know about her enrollment in the flight school?

The ramp unfolded, and Scander Hawke got his first look at the surface of a terraformed planet.

Vega's terrain glowed red in the sunlight. The silvery colonial structures contrasted sharply with the even, rocky surface. He didn't doubt that the rocks and sand themselves were not harmful—but the paths running between each building seemed to indicate otherwise. Taurus shone brightly above them. A man wearing a silver suit approached them. As he neared, Scander flinched as he discerned his glowing green eyes.

"Welcome to Vega," he said blandly. "My name is Ruben. Please follow me."

Scander stood for a moment, as his eyes told him a man had spoken, but his ears clearly heard the voice of a robot.

Ashuria rolled her eyes and snorted. "Androids," she muttered.

Ruben led them through a threshold scanner.

"Please enter the passage and remain still during the disinfectant process," the droid instructed.

First Scander, then Ashuria followed his direction and stood within the frame. Bright lasers swept over them, and a series of nozzles sprayed any detected foreign substances with an aerosol antiseptic. When both parties had been sprayed, Ruben calmly gestured toward a large white door leading into the first structure.