Part 5: The Vega Effect (2)

Start from the beginning

"This way," he told them.

Scander almost sighed aloud with relief when he saw that the room was full of people—not a droid in sight (except Ruben, of course.) A short, thin man wearing the grey robes of the Galactic Terraforming Council glided toward them, hand extended in greeting.

"Welcome, Colonel Hawke!" he boomed, his squint-eyes nearly slits in his wide, dusky face. His fluffy white ponytail bobbed as he moved. "The United States High Command said you'd be coming. And who is this?" He turned his attention to Ashuria.

"Her name is Ashuria Eseer," Scander answered, noting the woman's reaction to the fact that he knew her full name. "She accompanied me on the voyage from Earth." A quick glance told him she approved of his answer.

The councilor bowed and kissed her hand. "Charmed, charmed!" he sang quickly. "Come with me, you must be famished! We have a meal prepared for you in the next building."

"Actually, sir," Scander said, "I am sure you know my reason for being here—my mission. I would like to get started on the investigation as soon as—"

"Oh, quite!" The man kept walking, waving his hand. "Corporal, you may not feel it, but that voyage took almost a full day. You really must eat something if you are going to carry out your—mission—" the man was very careful about his tone and choice of words in his reference. "I will send an analyst to speak with you shortly." He pushed open a door and ushered his guests into a long, cafeteria-like room. There was a table with many foods set out, but only one table setting.

"Oh!" the man gasped, casting and embarrassed glance at Ashuria. "We shall have to get another setting. I'll have Latisha bring it when she comes. Sit! Relax! Enjoy!" The councilor waited just long enough to see his guests seated at the table, and then ducked out the door.

Scander hesitated. He pushed the plate toward Ashuria, but she shook her head and pushed it back.

"Oh please, Corporal; stop treating me like some grand debutante! Eat, by all means; I will be fine." She leaned over and plucked a bunch of berries from the bowl of fruit. Smiling at him, she tucked one in her mouth.

Scander shrugged and fell to eating. The minute he took his first bite, his stomach quickly informed him that he was much hungrier than he'd originally thought. The food was not all familiar, but the flavors were certainly delicious. The breads, the meat, the vegetables and fruits—Scander ate from the plate, Ashuria ate with her hands.

A sound behind them caused both to turn. A young woman with a curly, red ponytail and wearing a white lab coat poked her head into the room.

"Hello?" she called to them, slipping through the doorway. "Sorry I'm late." She smiled prettily and moved forward, holding out her hand to Scander.

"Corporal Hawke? I am Latisha; thank you for coming."

"A pleasure, Latisha," Scander said, shaking her hand. He tipped his head to the woman next to him, "This is my—friend—" Scander caught and corrected himself just in time, "Ashuria."

"Oh!" Latisha's grin broadened. "I heard that the Corporal had brought a Star Child with him. I've always wanted to meet one—but of course few star children come out to Vega. Um—" she eyed Ashuria shyly. "I've heard that—well, they say another name for a star child is... well, it's, um—bluetongue. I've never—I mean, I don't really know—"

Ashuria shared a glance with Scander and smiled as she extended her tongue. Scander blinked; something about her bothered him, and now he saw what it was: her tongue was a vivid shade of purple! He hadn't noticed it before, because her lips had been painted, but he didn't doubt that underneath the makeup, they too might have a bluish tint.