He's hiding something. Something happened when you were gone, something happened to him. Don't trust him.

"My mom go transferred," I said.

He nodded in understanding, but I knew he didn't believe me.

He's dating Chloe again. He doesn't know if he still loves you. But he likes that you're here.

"So, Chloe?" I said, going back to doing my work, "Didn't really expect you to pick her. Thought you'd go for more of a..model, type."

"Its not what you think. We're not serious."

"Like thats supposed to make me feel better."

"Haley, I didn't think I was ever going to see you again. I had to get over you."

Ouch, okay, that stung. He's over me. 

"You seem different," he said.

"You seem exactly the same, still the same heartless jerk I remember Ryder telling me about."

He came to see you to mend things, he wants to be on good terms.

"If you wanted to be on good terms, you probably should've waited a bit longer to come see me. Or, maybe, just maybe, you should have hooked up with your ex right after we broke up."

"Hal-"

"I'm going to have to ask you to leave," I said.

I didnt realize I was standing and shoving him out the door until I slammed it shut and locked it. 

How did I know why he was here? How did I know they were dating? And what is that voice inside of my head? And why does it keep changing? And why can I hear someone screaming in the back of my head?

I pulled my hair back into a bun and went to the bathroom connected to my room. After splashing my face a few times with water, I wiped my face, brushed my teeth and got into bed, clothes and all. I fell asleep before I remembered to turn out the light.

My alarm clock is what woke me up, and since it was Friday I could spend most of the day in the hospital because school was off.

I stopped at the donut shop before going to the vet to check up on Kat. Since I didn't really talk to her last night, now is as good a time as ever.

When I went into the front room, Bracken was riffling through files. He stood up and stared at me for a second, almost in awe, and then smiled.

"You must be Haley," he said, his voice low and gravely.

I swallowed. "Uh, yeah. Did Kat tell you about me?"

He shook his head. 

"I brought doughnuts," I said, holding out the bag awkwardly.

He took the bag, thanking me, and set it on the table. He stared at me, lips pursed, not saying anything. I shifted uncomfortably under his low gaze.

"Kat's in the back," he said.

I went to the cat room where she was feeding an orange and white cat in the back. A few cats hissed at me, and I scampered over to Kat to get away from the evil little creatures.

I hate cats.

"Your boss is a little weird," I said, looking behind me to make sure he wasn't listening.

"No, you're a little weird," she said, "He's a lot weird. But he's nice, and he doesn't mean any harm."

I shrugged in indifference. 

"I brought doughnuts, they're up front. Just wanted to check up on, you know, make sure everything is okay."

She looked up at me and smiled.

"Why wouldn't everything be okay?"

She was hurting, I could tell. I could feel it. Maybe its twin telepathy, maybe something worse. But I knew she was in a lot of pain from me. 

"I'll talk to you later," I said.

I left, but before I could open the door, someone grabbed me. Bracken held my wrist with an unexplainable expression on his face.

"You have no idea what you are," he whispered, the same awed expression from before.

I pulled out of his grasp and pushed the door open, leaving.

~*~

ooo so mystery. jk, i hope you guys like the twist I'm putting on this story since i sorta left you guys hanging w a lot of details in last story (sorry bout that btw)

but everything will be explained in this story that wasn't really explained in full last story so dw bout it