I let out a breath and looked at the girl.

"He's going to be fine."

"What you did out there was great, even though you let that girl in when she wasn't supposed to be able to go in," my mom said as we walked up to the building with our apartment.

"I just remembered what you told me when I was little," I said, shrugging.

"Hemlock," she said, as if to herself, "I can't believe we forgot abut hemlock."

Everyone forgets about hemlock. 

We turned the corner and I bumped into someone, dropping the Chinese takeout. I looked up and saw Grayson, and for a second we both just looked at each other, and then, without thinking, I wrapped my arms around him tightly.

"Grayson, I missed you so much," I said.

"I missed you too," he mumbled.

I pulled away from him, sensing he was tense, and when I saw who was behind him, my entire body froze.

"Chloe," I said.

"Haley," she responded, giving me a saccharine smile.

"W-what are you doing in California?"

"Visiting Grayson," she said, her cat like eyes drilling into mine.

She smiled, but there was anger under her eyes. I had heard of Grayson's ex, but only met her once before. Suddenly self conscious under her gaze, I smiled, picked up the food and rushed away.

"I can't believe they live in the same apartment complex as us," I complained as I set up the food, "I mean really, what are the odds?"

My mom mumbled in agreement.

"Anyway, where's Kat?"

"Stayed late at the animal clinic. She should be back soon."

I sat down next to my mom. I missed sitting down for dinner, and I missed talking to her like we used to. My mom was my best friend; actually my only friend other than my sister. I'm not very popular, in fact, everyone seemed to think there was something wrong with me. 

"Do you have a lot of homework?" my mom asked, scooping up some noodles on her fork.

They were going to fall off.

They fell off her fork and she cursed.

"Not much, just some essay of old folk tales. I swear, my teacher is such a weirdo."

She looked at me.

"I know," I said, "I'm a weirdo too but he's, like, serial killer weirdo."

"So, whats the folktale about?"

"A wolf," I said.

The door opened and Kat walked through. I got up, going to my room. It wasn't that I didn't want to talk to Kat, its just that lately Ive been noticing things I didn't before. Like how some voice in the back of my head told me that she's done something. A voice thats not my own. 

Its been happening more and more. Before now, the only time it had ever happened was when I was in the car with Grayson. Except, I wasn't even really in the car with him and it was me hallucinating. But thats not the point. 

There was a knock on my door, and I told the person to come in. Grayson appeared, and he closed the door behind him. I swallowed hard, my mouth suddenly dry as sandpaper.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I should ask you the same thing," he stated, sitting at the end of my bed.