STALKED

Sam grabbed ahold of Miles' BAR Mark II Safari rifle which rested across the back seat and took off racing into the underbrush. Leaves and tree branches scratched at his shirt as otherworldly clicking sounds could be heard coming from both sides of the jungle.

"Miles!" Sam yelled, as static exploded from the radio clasped around his belt. He quickly unlatched the device and clicked the push-to-talk button in (PPT), "Miles, where the hell are you!" Sam screamed as crackles screeched on the receiving end before Sam clicked the PPT button once more. "Miles, can you hear me?" Another crackle and then a hiss as Miles' voice broke through the static.

"H- hurry I- I'm surrounded, glowing e- eyes, bitten."

"Tell me where..." Sam was cutoff as the spinning safari rescue logo faded from the screen and the radio powered down. "Dammit!" Sam yelled, chucking the radio into a nearby tree. He quickly pulled out his cell phone attempting to call the rescue center before realizing he had no service. "Motherfucker!" He screamed, placing his phone back into his pants pocket as more clicking sounds, closer this time, screeched in the darkness of the jungle. Frightened, he reached into his back pocket and slipped out a small LED flashlight, clicking it on, as the white beam of the flashlight illuminated the surrounding vegetation. To the right of him, next to a wide baobab tree, were two large white eyes staring directly at him. He shined the gleaming flashlight toward the creature, causing the animal to flee quickly into the nearby flora. "Night demons," he mumbled under his breath as he came to the realization that he was being hunted.

Panicking, he focused his attention toward an opening in the undergrowth, when out of the corner of his eye, he caught a glimpse of a shiny object lying in the grass. He ran over to the object, pointing his flashlight at it and bending down to pick it up, tossed it over in his hands. "Sunglasses," Sam muttered, standing to his feet and circling around the area. Shrubbery began to shake behind him as multiple white eyes started to appear and the clicking noises were becoming deafening now. He continued to shine his flashlight toward the creatures as they scurried away from the fluorescent rays of the flashlight. Sam scanned the environment, continuing to walk through the thickset forest as a soft "Help" broke out from the constant unending stream of pouring rain. Sam paused, anxiously waiting for another sound to confirm his suspicions. As he heard it again, he realized, someone was calling for help. "Miles, where are you?" He cried, looking around in all directions.

"S- Sam," Miles whispered, as Sam turned, flinging the rifle across his shoulder and running into the nearby foliage, collapsing onto his knees next to Miles.

"Yeah buddy it's me," Sam said, removing the surrounding vegetation from Miles body before grabbing ahold of his back and pulling him upright. "What the hell happened to you?" Sam asked, frantically looking him over. "I left you for one second to grab some extra rope, and the next thing I know you were gone. Are you alright? I thought I heard you say something over the radio about being bitten," Sam asked, examining Miles entire body until he suddenly stopped. His eyes grew wide with fear as a look of horror spread across his face. He shined the flashlight down, revealing multiple distinct bite indentations aligned across Miles' right arm. Inside the teeth impressions, the same white saliva covered the exposed wounds as the harsh realization that Miles had been bitten by the same animal that had killed both the small boy and the gazelle earlier in the day, became a reality.

He knew that Miles would almost certainly die, but he had to be positive. "Miles, what bit you?" Sam asked, as tears rolled down his face.

"Night demon," he whispered, deliriously.

"Dammit," Sam said, dropping his head down in sadness. "Miles, you got to get up, we have to get you back to the car," Sam demanded, attempting to pull Miles onto his feet. "I'm not going to let you die out here."