n i n e

*so next chapter is the last one, I decided. oh, and Im making another story, so if you want, you can go check out the prologue to that. enjoy?~

The bottoms of her tennis-shoes scraped against the gravel as she made her way back home, her jacket sleeves damp and sticky from snot and her cheeks strained red from fresh tears. She regretted a lot of things in life, but nothing like this.

She should've known, really, that Kelsey would turn out to be someone other than the 16-year old's best friend. Sure, they knew each other since diaper days, but did that stop the blonde-headed girl from thinking the queen bee of their school was actually okay for once? No. It did not. It all started with complimenting the make-up Elsie had done for Kelsey, and she wouldn't have made a big deal about it if her supposed bestie didn't giggle and start saying how she only did it in 5 minutes. Who knew someone could change just for a chance to be popular?

El pretty much saw it coming, though she hated admitting that the storm was near. Now that it was over, she had one thing to do: sigh in exhaustion and start cleaning up the mess that wasn't her own. Instead of complaining and being angry with Kelsey, she was going to start acting like they were just mere fellow students. Why should she even be mad? If Kels wanted to leave the friendship, so be it.

When Elsie got home, and her mother (still in her work clothes, since she apparently just got back) saw what state her daughter was in, they had a long talk over raspberry tea and sugar cookies. Her mother explained that it was just something every girl has to go through, losing a friend. She told El that Kelsey was obviously missing out, and the red-head who was walked out on should know that.

One of the many life lessons her mother taught her occurred that day, but there happened to be one she left out.

Love.

February 25, 2013

Jack's mind was blending in with the background, becoming irrelevant in the situation.

Elsie's mind was starting to fade, too, but the jitters exploded in her stomach more than usual.

Both knew what was going to happen, both didn't try to stop it. One was leaning, while the other just waited. They could hear each other's breathing as he paused, trying to get his gears in sync with his body.

Elsie felt the icy puffs on the tip of her nose, her skin welcoming the new sensation like an old friend, and when it left, there was a longing feeling that caved inside of her before another puff escaped and the friend was greeted once again.

Jack's skin that veiled his throat coated itself in goose bumps, the tepid gusts of breath skimming over it, leaving him wanting more, departing harshly without a goodbye, then returning unexpectedly, just to leave again like before.

Her eyes were riffling through his, peeling back the layers of emotions like stickers, getting a good understanding that, under the blank look, he was anxious, scared, nervous, and he wanted to badly rid of the space between them.

His hands were tingling to latch onto hers, or to caress her shoulders tenderly so he could get her to turn his way, or even to wrap themselves around the back of her neck to pull her closer, once and for all.

The thought that was at the back of their heads, the one they came to for an excuse, was the one that reminded their conscious that the two of them merely knew who the other was, that it was crazy to be having such feelings, that both should abandon ship as quickly as possible.

The thought that was at the front of their heads, the one they rarely visited, was the one that told their hearts that feelings can develop in short notice, that it may not be that practical, that it was all worth it in the end and that staying on the ship to sink together would be the best decision they'd ever make.

Hence, that is why Jack's shaking hands finally found their way at the back of her neck, fondling the hair that lay against her skin, looking into her eyes to make sure it was okay to make the first move.

Subsequently, that is why Elsie's eyes began showing the reassuring smile that she wanted to make, her body turning over so it'd be easier to reach, awaiting the gush of various emotions- or not. It might actually prove something, that maybe they're not meant to be, but that thought was shoved harshly to the ground of her conscious.

"Pull away if I hurt you, okay?" He whispered, his words coming out softly and a low hush, as if he was afraid someone other than El would hear him, as if it was a top secret file that he was about to share with her. In a way, it was. His feelings were kept to himself, but now they're about to be pried open.

"Why would you hurt me?" She muttered, confusion swimming in not only her speech, but also in her eyes. She didn't understand how he could hurt her; if anything, he was giving her something she would've been too afraid to ask for.

Jack gulped, "I'm really cold.. remember?"

"Oh," was all that could come out, because she nearly forgot with the burst of nerves her body was endearing. "Okay."

His smooth lips swept over hers that were slightly chapped, but that was certainly alright, and that made Elsie take in a sharp breath. Their eyes were closed, he was literally a centimeter away, but their lips weren't smushed together yet. Why, you may ask?

He got scared.

What if I freeze her to death, he fretted, what if I freak her out and she never talks me to again?

Yes, he got scared. But, oh, she didn't.

With a simple little movement, their lips molded like fine model clay, slowly and daintily. His kiss was cold, that much was true, but she felt like he might have over exaggerated. Elsie's fingers found themselves raveling his strands of white, the two's bodies immediately being pulled closer from the other. Jack's hands found themselves on the sides of her face, her hair tickling his fingertips as he tilted his head so it'd be easier for the both of them. It was the first kiss of Jack Frost, the third one for Elsie Abernathy, but they found out something crucial to their everyday lives.

Yes, the feelings were real, but no, it wasn't just a crush that could end up in chaos.

The answer was scripted into the air that suddenly opened up between them as he pulled back, letting them both have their fair share of breathing, the big brown pair of eyes meeting the big blue pair like a long-lost-couple seeing each other after months of separation. Smiles so ghostly that you would barely notice it (unless you were as close as they were) popped up on their faces and the only sound they could hear was their short wisps of breath. By now, maybe they should have pressed their lips back together, but Jack never really planned on doing that. He wanted to let her know what she meant to him, and how beautiful she was, and how she had the best personality he had ever known of, and maybe something more cliché than saying she was his special star.

All things considered, he never got his chance.

She apparently wanted a few- two, three, maybe 20- more kisses.