Chapter four ↠

"I think you're better off ordering the salad." Sam says casually, interrupting my order of a hamburger with fries.

I look down at the menu again, and then down at my stomach. Sam's words hurt, but I knew he was right. I didn't need any more junk, I was fat enough as it was, a salad would do me good.

"I'll change my order to a caesar salad then." I say, smiling at the waitress as she takes my order.

As she walks away I admire Sam's appearance. His hair was pulled back with powder, and his expensive suit brought out his soft, pearly blue eyes. He had a Mohican cut and scythe-shaped eyebrows. His Roman nose and half-dome cheekbones sat above an oaken jaw. His wrestler's shoulders were part of his burly physique. He wasn't a male model, but he should be. I didn't deserve someone as perfect and flawless as him. He was amazing.

"What are you thinking about?" He questions, adjusting his wonky tie.

"How perfect you are." I say just about a whisper, smiling slightly.

He just looks at me expressionless, his eyes tearing deep into my soul. Did he take that as a compliment or an insult?

"How's the therapy going?" His expression changes to a more concerned look than anything.

It had only been one session of therapy but I already knew it wasn't going to work. Ben didn't even fully understand why I was coming to therapy, and I don't think he ever will. There was no way he was going to fix me; I was already a mess. I couldn't tell Sam that, though, it would only cause him to boil up with anger.

"It's going good... I guess."

"You guess?" His voice becomes slightly harsher.

"Well it's only been one session, so I don't know just yet. But I have another tomorrow, so hopefully he'll start fixing me."

Sam looks at me un-sure for a second, his shoulders slumping and his mouth turning downwards. He was disappointed; I hated disappointing him.

"It better start working soon, because I have a little surprise for you later on and you need to have yourself worked out so that it will work."

I thought about his comment for a moment, wondering what he had meant by a surprise. He hadn't done something like that for me since we first started dating. I use to love all his little surprises, like when he would turn up at my door un-expectantly with a bouquet of flowers, or he would invite me over and cook me a special home-made roast dinner. Those days were long past. After we'd moved in together and started settling down a year later, he no longer did things like that for me.

"What sort of surprise?" I question, a look of confusion settling across my face.

He grabs my left hand in his and fiddles with my left ring finger. For a second I wonder what he's trying to say, but when I look down at my fingers I realize. He want's to get engaged.

I try to contain my excitement, but a small smile spreads across my lips. I turn to look at his face, which reflects mine. I knew that it would happen some day, after all we had been dating for three years, but this was the first time that he had ever even indicated that he was interested. I loved him, and I knew he was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

"Yes!" I exclaim loudly, making people around us turn and look in confusion.

"Shhh" He whispers angrily, letting go of my hand, "I told you already, it can't happen until you fix your worthless self!"

I feel my whole stomach twist in a knot, realizing that it wasn't that simple. Who would want to marry someone like me? I was disgusting and worthless and didn't deserve Sam's love. The only way I would ever have any chance in marrying him would be if I fixed myself, and that's why I needed Ben's help.

"Don't worry." I say, a smile forming back onto my lips, "I will."

---

So Sam and Amanda might be getting engaged huh? Do you think they would be cute together or nah? Let me know your thoughts because I love interacting with my readers and getting to know them! I want to be like a really friendly community! Also, if you want me to check out your books and vote and comment let me know too.

Should Sam and Amanda get engaged?

Love you guys x

Gracie x