New Year, 2016

11:30pm, SLEX

The car ride was silent. Alden's dad was driving and she was seated at the backseat looking out the car's window. Everything was a blur but the sky was alive and the noise of firecrackers were starting to ascend as the minutes pass by.

In a few minutes, she'll be leaving 2015 behind. So many things she had let go for the year - her plans of becoming a flight attendant, her second biggest heartbreak, New York...

With all these that she let go, the things she gained far outcry the losses. 2015 was the year she found herself, her purpose, overcoming her fears, conquering the stage, Alden...

Here she is alone on the car with his dad not knowing what he really plans for them. She wanted to cut the silence with her usual chatter, "Tito, salamat po pala at okay lang sa inyo sumama ako sa New Year's dinner niyo."

Tito Richard eyed Maine from the rearview mirror and replied, "Nak, wala yun. Gusto ka namin makasama din. Sa sobrang busy niyo ni Jay gusto lang namin makasama kayo parehas.

Maine smiled, his dad has always been the sweetest. She remembers one day in September she got a private message from him telling her how he would like to meet her someday. Even having the guts getting her phone number. She replied but with a little stern warning that Alden should not be aware of their correspondence - strict orders from TAPE.

"Tito, paano niyo po ba sine-celebrate ang new year?" her curious nature couldn't help but ask.

"Laging nasa countdown ng GMA yang si Jay. Uuwi yan mga ala-una at mag start na kami mag dinner. Tapos kwentuhan. Usually wala naman pasok yan kinabukasan kaya magpupuyat kami maglaro ng billiards. Marunong ka ba maglaro?"

"Naku Tito hustler po ako diyan." Maine laughed.

"Naku medyo mayabang yang anak ko sa billiards, pakitaan mo mamaya."

The car ride was spent reminiscing the Faulkerson's new year traditions.

Suddenly, Maine got cold feet knowing Alden's grandparents will be in attendance. Alden has met her family numerous times, but Maine has yet to meet his.

----

Text Convo between Maine & Alden

Outgoing text message to Alden: Ninerbyos ka ba nung una mong nakilala pamilya ko?

Outgoing text message to Alden: Ninenerbyos ako Shokoy. First time to meet your family. Your grandparents will be there.

Incoming text message from Alden: They're excited to meet you. You'll be fine :)

Incoming text message from Alden: And to answer your question. Oo ninerbyos ako.

Outgoing text message to Alden: NOT HELPING.

Incoming text message from Alden: They love you already.

Outgoing text message to Alden: We're here in the parking lot. See you in 15 minutes.

----

And the stage was winding down the minutes before midnight strikes. All the GMA artists in attendance were hyping up the crowd and the fireworks already starting to light the sky. Alden went backstage and checked his watch - 11:53PM. He sprinted to the parking lot and ran towards his car where Maine was waiting.

A few feet away he could see her, with the windows open and her face upturned to the sky looking at the fireworks scattering the air with vibrant colors. Her left arm was atop the car's window sill and her chin resting on the top of her arms.

He couldn't figure out her expression. Pensive? Lonely? Melancholic?

Finally their eyes met, and the blossoming smile that spread her lips reached him. He smiled back and they were now face to face. Maine inside the car by the window; Alden on the opposite side of the window outside the car.

"Meng, happy new year." the shake in his voice was masked by the noise in the parking lot.

"Happy new year, Den."

"Pumunta lang ako dito para batiin ka," he was touching his ear, a nervous habit.

"Naku bumalik ka na dun sa stage, hinahanap ka nila siguro. Nagbibilang na sila oh!" She could hear the crowd counting down.

"Meng, susi ka ba?" he asked. It was now or never, he thought.

"Bakit?"

"Pwede ba kita i-keys?" he sheepishly said.

"You're asking for a kiss." she wasn't asking, it was a statement.

"Forget it." Alden said, when suddenly Maine kissed him on the cheek where a portion of her lips ghosted the corners of his.

Was it a half kiss? Part cheek, part lips.

The kiss was quick, it wasn't done in the heat of the moment, but like all first kisses it was sweet.

He wanted more. But he knows this things take time. Like with anything that involves Maine, he needs to be patient.

He smiled at her and fingered the dent on her chin. It always fascinated him. Like his dimples, they deepen depending on her mood.

She held his wrist while his pointer finger caressed her chin.

"Salamat, Meng. Sige balik na ako," he looked at his watch, "11:59pm na, I'll see you in a bit."

His retreating figure was all she saw in the deserted parking lot.

Her new year kiss just happened, and she knew 2016 just kicked off to a good start.

Blessed.

That's what she is, and then a few drops of rain landed on her face.

2016 started with the blessing of rain, and like anything AlDub, rain means it's going to be something good.