“Yes, I just got the news. They’re coming to this hospital. Do you want me to pick you up?” He asks sounding a bit upset.

            “No, you stay there and keep an eye on them. I’ll find a ride.”

            “I’ll ask one of my brothers to come get you if that’s what you want.” He says shuffling papers around. He doesn’t sound the least bit worried about his wife and daughters.

            “Baba, why aren’t you upset?” I ask frustrated.

            “Because habibi, I have faith, I know that it’s nothing serious. They just called in, it’s nothing to serious. Okay? Don’t worry, they’ll be fine.” He says. I take a deep breath before hanging up.

            “Do you think you could drop me off?” I ask looking over at Kevin. He nods his head and we walk out of the school.

*Sara’s Point Of View*

            I blink my eyes open as if I just got up, but last I remembered we were on our way to school. I look around my surrounding to see that I’m in a hospital bed and I sit up trying to get his nightmare out of my head. I look around at my body to see that my ankle is wrapped in a white cast and I start to feel major pain in my arm to see that I have stitches going down my arm. No, this can’t be happening, this is just a dream, and I’ll wake up in my bed at home. Unless this whole year was a dream. Then I’ll wake up in the camp in Palestine. I start to cry, not of the pain, but of the fear that this whole time I was sleeping and imagining that I found my family. I can’t take that pain. My face is in my hands as I’m crying, I don’t feel that someone is touching is my shoulder but when I do I jump out of my own skin frightened that it’s Amo Hamada. I turn my head to see that it’s Jihad and my father. “Sara, what happened, are you okay? Why are you crying? What’s hurting you?” My father says all at once while kneeling on the floor beside the bed. When I see them I wrap my arms around them and cry of joy.

            “I wasn’t dreaming?” I ask confused.

            “Dreaming of what habibti?” My father asks taking my face in his hand to make sure I was still there. That’s what I felt like doing with him.

            “That this whole year was a dream.” I ask. He shakes his head.

            “No, it’s not a dream, and you’re here with us now. You have nothing to worry about.” He says.

            “Where’s mama and Tamara. They were in the car with me too right? Are they fine?” I ask with hopeful eyes.

            “Yeah, they’re both fine habibti.” My father says taking my hand. “Get some rest for now.”

            “No, I need to see them. I want to make sure they’re both okay.” I say stubbornly.

            “Sara, you can’t walk, you broke your ankle and if you get off the bed without anyone next to you, it could get paralyzed. Wait a little while until we get a wheelchair. For now get some rest. You have my word that both of them are fine. Okay?” I nod my head and wipe my tears away. I don’t even care about the pain at this point. I just want them both to be okay. Just then there’s a knock at the door and Kevin peeks his head through the door. My father welcomes him in, which is surprising but I guess that he’s Jihad’s best friend my father already knows him. “Kevin, how are you doing?” My father asks smacking Kevin on the back.

            “I’m good, yourself?”

            “Well, not so good as you could see.” He says pointing to me. “I hope you’re watching my girls in school, making sure they’re not getting themselves in trouble.”

            “Not you too. Jihad already warned me the first day.” He says jokingly. We all start to laugh and Kevin looks at me with a sad smile on his face. “How are you feeling Sara?” He asks kindly.

            “Under the circumstances, I’m doing fine, just in a lot of pain. Nothing I can’t handle though.” I say with a smile on my face. He smile’s back before turning towards Jihad. “Do you need a ride back home, or are you good now?” He asks.

            “I’m good, thanks again Kevin, don’t know how I could ever repay you.” Jihad says walking Kevin out.

            “He’s a good kid, always has so much respect for your mother and I when he’s over.” My father says with a smile on his face.

            “Wait, he comes over a lot? He hasn’t been over in the past year.” I say surprised.

            “Well yeah, with everything going on in the family, and him being a busy worker, none of us had time to have visitors over.” He tells me and I nod in understanding. “I’m glad Jihad has a friend like him. And no that does not give you permission to go after him.” My father says sternly as if I was even thinking of Kevin that way.

            “Am I really in a place to be thinking boys like that baba?” I ask pointing to my body. He smiles and jokes.

            “Well, I know what 15 year old girls are like. You guys start crushing at this age and I cover my ears not listening to him.

            “We are not having this talk right now.” I say ignoring him. “Please, save it.” I beg. He laughs and I huff in annoyance.

            “Okay, get some rest now Sara, you should be out of here in no time.” He says walking out just as Jihad walks back in.

            “Hey, how are you feeling?” He asks sitting in the chair by the bed.

            “Baba just accused me of having a crush on your friend.” I say embarrassed. Jihad laughs.

            “Why would he think that?” He says between his fits of laughter.

            “Because I’m a 15 year old girl. That’s why.” I say huffing. “It’s not funny. I’m in no place to start crushing on my brothers best friend.” He stops laughing and sits next to me to keep me company. We watch TV for an hour before I notice him start to yawn. “Jihad, go home and sleep.”

            “You’re kidding right? And leave you here alone? I don’t think so.” He says getting comfortable in the chair just as my father comes in. “Yallah Jihad, we both have to get going, the kids can’t stay at their cousins house on a week day.

            “Bye Jihad, don’t worry about me, I’ll be just fine.” I tell him. He gives me hug before walking out.

            “I’ll be back first thing in the morning to check on you. Don’t worry, you’ll have the best nurse here tonight.” He says kissing my forehead before walking to the door. “If you need anything don’t hesitate to call me. Okay?” I nod my head before getting comfortable on my pillow. A few minutes after my father leaves a nurse walks in with a smile on her face. She gives me my medicine and after a few minutes I fall asleep to the sound of the TV playing in the background.