You're In.

A/N READ READ READ PLEASE YOU WILL NOT UNDERSTAND UNLESS YOU LOOK UP AND PLAY THE SONG. OK? OK!! btw, on the video, pay no attention to those guys playing. They are in no way related to my characters except for the instruments they play.
http://youtu.be/wx-zL16OUJw      <<< link to song
__________________________________________________________

As I walked into brass band practice with my trombone case in hand, I noticed something different about today's usual routine.

No one's setting up yet. That's strange, usually I'm late.

The drum set wasn't out, none of he guys had their instruments out, and Harvey was playing on his phone.

Harvey NEVER played on his phone during practice.

I set my case down and walked up to the other four musicians in our small ensemble, still wondering why the room wasn't set up for practice. "Hey, guys, what's going on?"

Andrew looked up from the paperwork he was doing and said, "Oh, hey Jake, we've got a surprise..."

Oh, god. Last time Andrew put together a surprise, it ended up with my trombone slide on the roof. Don't ask how, I'm not re-telling.
"What's the surprise?"

"New girl wants to join us. She plays bari, and you know we need someone to play it since Brandon quit," Jake told me. "He was our bass, our foundation for the songs and now nothing sounds right anymore."

Well, I understand that..wait a second... A GIRL?!

"A girl, Jake? Really? You know girls don't have the air to play bari-sax. Just send her away, it would never wor-"

"Do you really want to finish that sentence?" a new, female voice interrupted. "Why don't you hear me play before you go all negative on me?"

When I turned to the doorway, there was a girl standing there. Her rich, brown hair flowing down to her waist while her dark blue eyes glinted angrily. In her arms she held her bari along with her neck strap.

Uh, oh. She sounds mad, and band girls get mad easy. Maybe I should give her a chance.

"You do realize, our band doesn't usually accept new people? Girls especially," I told her, "Girls don't have the right breath for brass. Go on, now, go play your little flute or whatever had you coming in here."

"Well maybe you should stop being bandist and let me try out, before you judge me and say I don't have the right 'breath for brass'? I've been playing bari-sax since I was seven. I am twenty one. That's fourteen YEARS of experience," she told me, extremely angry now.

"Fine. One audition. We will be ready in half an hour. For your audition, you will play one of the songs we made a cover of with us; 'Problem' by Ariana Grande. We know the parts, but you audition is to improvise. If the parts you play fit with our music and you have the right sound, tone quality, and skill to match ours, you can join. You have thirty minutes to prepare."

*^*^*
-Thirty minutes later-

Our group, made up of me on trombone, Jake on drum set, Harvey on trumpet, Leo on alto-sax, Andrew on sousaphone, and Ashleigh trying out for bari-sax, finally went into our good room; the room with the best acoustics in the warehouse we rent.

"Alright. Let's play."

(PLAY SONG HERE)

Once the song was over we all just kinda stood there, gaping in awe at Ashley's skills and rich, full sound she had on her instrument. All it took was one look from the guys for us to say two words to her.

"You're in."