But then the silverware was put down and another round of drinks were passed and then my guests departed and I was back in the intimate study, stretched across an ivory lounger with my heels abandoned on the floor. The music had long-since ended and the only sound was jovial conversation.

And it was just me, Dad, Nik, and Marc, as I'd known it'd always dwindle to.

The younger men of my night poured whiskey and talked in even-tones as if they didn't know my heart was torn between them, while Dad gave the obligatory yawn and stretch to signal his bedtime. That would leave me alone with the pair of them, and the further away I got from that misadventure with Marc, the more I knew I was just going to come right out and say something inappropriate to the situation.

"I'll walk you back, Dad," I decided when he'd reached the door, easing back into my heels.

"I'll manage." Dad hugged my shoulders. "I'm just grabbing a change of clothes and heading down to the hospital. Besides, I think those men have been waiting to have you alone all night."

Dad left, and I clasped my hands in the silence between the three of us. "So," I began, not sure what to do with myself. I settled on making an exit, since I was confident that I wanted to leave this dark room. "It's been a long week. I'd like to see Gull. You guys are welcome to come."

Nik lifted one hand off his glass to point at my dress. "In those clothes?"

"I'm just seeing her."

He and Marc exchanged doubtful looks.

I plucked at the grey fabric. "I'm sure as hell not gonna go riding in this."

Marc set his drink on a small table. "I will say hello to one of my best mares." With a purposeful glance to me, he added, "I am sleeping in a room near there."

If Nik read anything into that, his expression never wavered from pleasant. "You coming?" I asked him, cracking the door. Yellow hall light seeped across the hardwood floor.

He shook his head. "Can't. I went to the doctor the other day. Got some results to look over."

The doctor? I frowned. "Everything okay?"

"Completely. I'll see you in the morning." He walked to the door so fast I impulsively grabbed his arm to stop him. At that he turned, a half-smile drawing out one dimple. "Really, I'm fine, Al. I trust Marc will keep you safe."

We walked with him down the hall, until our paths split and we descended towards the stables. I toyed with my braid, more worried now than I ever had been. "Last time he lied to me like that, I found out he was a runaway prince."

"He will tell you when he can," Marc suggested.

I looked up at him. "Do you know what's wrong?"

"It would not be my place to say anything, but I do not."

That at least, was the truth.

*

"So much for a visit," Marcus drawled half an hour later as my gloves lay draped along the stall door and my shoes beside it. With his suit jacket folded over his arms, he'd leaned against the closed door to take in the sight.

Suds dripped down my arm and dappled my grey dress as I wrung a sponge. Against my drab colors Gull shone with the brilliance of spring sunlight, golden in fur and spirit as she stretched out her neck and snorted at her former owner. "Help me hose her down and I'll leave you to it." I winked. "I know you've got a hot date waiting."