12. A Prince

Scott P.O.V.

As I close the door quietly I crawl next to Cynthia in bed reading a book.

"So watcha reading?" I whisper wrapping my arm around her shoulders. I see her slightly blush but she snugs into me before answering,

"Hopeless by Colleen Hoover. It's a great book so far."

I grin pretending to be a stereotypical girl, "Is it about romance and love? Is it true love at first sight?"

She hits me on the arm laughing.

"No! If true love at first sight was a thing than there would be a lot less problems in the world. This book is full of tragedy and crap, although love is involved."

She gives me a toothy grin, "You wouldn't understand. Everything in your head is sports and fixing broken cars."

We laugh as we get more comfortable and get ready for bed. I watch her emotions as she reads and when she falls asleep I put the book on the nightstand, kiss her on the forehead, and go to sleep."

****************
I wake up to Cynthia screaming with tears in her eyes trying to hit me. She looks horrified like I'm going to kill her. She keeps screaming things like 'help me' 'stop' 'go away'.

If she remembers something, you need to hold her tightly and don't let go until she calms down. And make sure she sees your face at all times. She needs to know it's you.

Who else would it be?

She'll tell you.

I grab Cynthia's face softly but firm enough to where she has to look at me.

"Cynthia look at me."

She grabs my arms and tries to push me away continuing to scream.

"Cynthia look at me. I will not hurt you."

My legs wrap around hers as I use one hand to hold hers and use the other one to hold her chin in my direction to keep her steady.

I smile as I say, "Cynthia I will never hurt you."

Finally looking at me sobbing she whispers, "Sc...Sco...Scott? I...is...that you?"

"There you go. It's me Cynthia."

I pull her into a hug and keep whispering, "It's okay Cynthia. It's okay. It's Scott. You're okay."

After a long time, maybe an hour she stops crying.

"Cynthia did you fall asleep," I whisper barely audible so I didn't wake her up if she was.

Sniffling she softly whispers, "Don't leave..."

Going limp in my arms I could tell she fell asleep. Setting her down in a more comfortable spot to sleep in, I hold her hand and watch her sleep until I feel like it's okay to follow her. Smiling before I sleep I whisper,

"I wouldn't dream of it, Cynthia."
*************
I wake up to see our hands are still entwined and a sleeping Cynthia. I smile and push her long black hair out of her face. I think she'll be okay.

"Good morning Cynthia," I softly say giving her a kiss on the forehead. Pulling my hands closer to her using them as a pillow she mumbles, "Good morning Scott."

Pulling her in to a hug I ask, "How do you feel this fine morning?"

"Beautiful," she giggles before looking worried, "It doesn't happen that often... maybe once every few months? How much did Faith tell you?"

"Only to make sure you know it's me."

Hugging me tighter she says in my ear, "Thank you Scott. For being my prince."

"Are you hungry?"

"Scott?"

"Yes Cynthia?"

"I can't tell you right now, but I want you to know it was my father."

Guiding her to the door, "That doesn't matter right now. Let's go eat breakfast."

I give her a hopeful smile keeping close to her with our hands entwined hoping that one day, I can save her.

Like the real prince she needs.