One | Welcome to the Jungle

Warning/Caution/disclaimer/you should probably, most definitely read this:

The name of this story alone should tell you how cliché it is...when I say cliché, I mean cliché.
I'm serious: think of any stereotypical thing that happens in all these wattpad books, and it's bound to occur at some point in this story...EXCEPT for the whole "being paired together for a project" (that's in my other book ;) ).
Long story short, I wrote this years ago when I was 14 years old, so it's a little (a lot) cringey in some parts. And I'm not even going to get into how short this story is...
That being said, I think it's still somewhat decent and good to read if you're looking for something short and sweet. If you're still willing to give it a shot after the cautionary tale I just laid out for you, I hope you read it just for fun and enjoy it! :)

One
__________________________

"Lauren!"

My mother's raised voice came muffled through the pillow I was hiding under. I made a few grumbly noises and smothered my face down further into my sheets, attempting to block her out.

1, 2, 3 seconds passed in silence, and I began to relax, thinking she'd given up and walked away. Instead, I felt cold air hit my back as my blanket was ripped off of me.

"Lauren!"

When it became clear she wasn't going to stop harassing me, I groaned and sat up. "What?!"

"It's time to get up. Do you really want to be late on your first day of school?"

Ugh...why'd she have to remind me? My mom and dad decided it would be cool to completely ruin my life by moving across the United States (okay, Montana to California wasn't really completely across, but still). Not to mention the fact that it was February, which means I'd be starting at my new school smack in the middle of the year.

"Mom," I groaned, hoping I could somehow avoid the horrible day sure to ensue. "You're torturing me enough by forcing me to move, now you decide to ruin my sleep?"

Her blue eyes widened at my response. "I've had enough of your attitude, young lady. School starts at 8:00 and it's 7:35! We have to leave in less than 15 minutes so please, stop testing my sanity and get going!"

One good thing about my new school, I supposed, was how late it started. This time at my old school, class would have already been in session for about five minutes.

I picked my comforter up from the floor and tried to keep myself from throwing another annoyed remark towards my mom, knowing it would only cause me trouble.

I didn't have enough time to take a shower, but luckily had already taken one the night before. After shooing mom out of my room, I ripped open one of the boxes of clothes that were sitting on the floor next to my bed. Knowing me, I would probably be living out of them for at least a month because I was too lazy to unpack. I pulled out a pair of skinny jeans and a white tank top with tiny floral print, thanking the universe that some of my favorite clothes happened to be at the top of the pile.

After throwing them on, I slipped into a pair of moccasins and headed across the hall to the bathroom. I yanked a brush through my hair-which was luckily deciding to cooperate today-and did my makeup. I lined my eyes lightly with some black eyeliner and mascara, barely remembering to swab on some lip gloss; I liked makeup, I just wasn't too keen on packing it on, so that was usually the most I wore.

I quickly ran back to my room and grabbed my bag for school. I didn't have much in it, just some notebooks, pencils, and my phone. Hopefully it wouldn't become too heavy by the time all my new teachers were done with me. I slung my bag over my shoulder and marched down the stairs.