~~~~~~~~~~

I drag myself out of bed the next morning, my face feeling warm and swollen. After I left the bathroom at school, I went through the rest of the day with my head up but my self-esteem low. When I got home I left my homework in my backpack and curled up on my bed with a season of Friends and some ice cream. When I finally went to sleep, I did not let myself cry.

All he did was talk to me. He told me that he needed a break from the project. But a break from me too? Was I really that annoying? I don't let myself make excuses for him again. I'm done. With him and his shit. And I can't believe that I kept giving him second chances.

I change into jeans and a gray t-shirt before going downstairs for breakfast. "Hey little sis." Cameron says as I walk into the kitchen. "Hey Cam." I say, my breath still a little shaky. Cameron must pick up on it. "Whats wrong?" he asks. "Nothing. Just girl problems." I say, trying to change the subject. I don't want to talk about Luke's sudden change in attitude and liking towards me.

"You mean boy problems? Ariel, I heard you crying last night." he says. "I wasn't crying." I reply as I dig the milk out of the refrigerator. "Maybe not a lot, but I heard you because I walked right up to your door. I was looking for my ice cream." he says. "Yeah I kind of ate that." I say. I pour a bowl of cereal for myself and join Cam at the table.

"I know, and that's alright. But what happened?" he asks. "I don't want to talk about it, OK? It's stupid. I was crying over a stupid thing that most people would just brush off their shoulder. I'm being dumb. So just leave it alone, OK?" I say. I stand up and pour out my bowl of cereal. "I'm not hungry anymore." I mutter. I grab my bag and exit the house, wishing Luke and this stupid project never existed.

When I arrive at school, Zoey is waiting for me in the entrance. "Hey, I never got the chance to give you your stuff from the party. Here you go." she says, and hands me my bag. "Thanks." I say, digging through it to make sure I have everything. I really don't want to remember that day, even if the car ride home was...interesting. It was all a bad experience that I just want to forget. But I won't be able to do that right away considering Dylan is walking straight towards me and Zoey.

"Hey I have to go. Talk to you later, OK?" I say, and walk past Zoey, leaving her quite confused. "Bye!" she yells to me. I don't answer, but instead continue to walk fast, my head down as I stare at my shoes. I don't make it that far though before I feel a hand gently squeeze my shoulder. I turn around, knowing Dylan will be there. "Ariel...can I talk to you? About the party?" Dylan asks. I gulp before nodding. He slides his hand from my shoulder to my hand and he gently drags me through the hallway and into an empty stairwell.

"Dylan..." I start, but he won't let me finish. "Just give me a couple minutes, please? I need to get this out." he says. "Fine." I say nervously. I step back a little. I still feel uncomfortable around him, even if he was drunk and didn't really know what he was doing. "I'm so sorry about what happened at the party. I would never do something like that to someone. I was drunk, which hardly ever happens, I just let go a little. I am so sorry and I really hope you can forgive me on your own time." he says.

I just stand there. His apology makes me feel a little better, but something still isn't right. It still feels as though he's hiding something from me. "Ok, uh, thanks I guess." I say cautiously. "Can I try something?" he asks, and my stomach drops. I raise an eyebrow slightly, and I see Dylan lean a little closer to me.

I stand there, motionless, as he gets closer and closer. What is he doing? Does he think this is funny? I know that in a few seconds, he is either going to whisper in my ear "Gotcha!" or he's gonna start laughing. I can't take it anymore. I can't go through something as embarrassing as this. He's really close now, and our breaths are mixing. I can smell his sweet cologne and his minty breath. He's really close to me now. When is he gonna pull back?

He never does. He twists his head a little before placing his hands gently on my hips. He doesn't pull me closer to him. Instead, he steadies himself as he leans in that last half centimeter and closes the gap between us, his lips connecting with mine.

Dylan Carter is kissing me.

His neck twists ever so slightly so he's closer to me and I do the same with mine. Now he pulls me a little closer. I can't believe this is happening. All that's running through my head is how soft his lips are and how I'm actually kissing Dylan Carter. And he leaned in first. He wanted to kiss me. He kisses me again as I wrap my arms around his neck. He presses me gently against the wall, which wasn't that far behind me, and I pull away to take a breath.

"Dylan..." I whisper breathlessly. "I'm sorry." he whispers and pulls out of my arms slightly, but I don't want to let him go. I tighten my grip so he can't walk away. He looks surprised. "Don't go." I say. I don't even know what's going on. A minute ago, I was scared of Dylan because of what happened at his party, but now I don't want him to leave.

He leans back into me, his body pressing into mine gently, and kisses me again. Our lips move together slowly and gently. He really is a great kisser. I mean, I've heard rumors, but I never knew that I'd be able to prove them true. I pull away for air, and Dylan keeps his focus on my lips. "I've wanted to do that ever since you stood up to Luke that day in class." he whispers. I smile.

He leans in again and our lips come together just as the door swings open. "Ariel? Are you in here?" I hear a voice ask. I pull away from Dylan slightly and look around his head as he turns to look at the door as well.

"Ariel?"

Oh great.

"Dylan? Ariel? What are you doing?"

And, as my luck would have it, the voice belongs to the one and only Luke Mason.