The Planning

Rose had been burning the midnight oil , reading and doing research on the mountain when she saw a pair of familiar green eyes tapping at her window. She jumped and hid under her covers when she heard an all too familiar voice shouting at her.

"OI! ITS ME YOU IDIOT! ITS ME , ZOE! HEELOOOOOOOO???"

Rose breathed a sigh of relief and let Zoe in from her windows. Zoe huffed and placed her hands at her hips.

"Well , nice of you to let me in."

Rose merely gaped at the sight of Zoe. It was evident that Zoe had just ran away from home in a hurry. Her hair was wild and airy from the run and her duffel bag was stuffed to the brim. Her shoelaces were not even tied. Zoe held her hands up and said:

"Spare me the lecture. Its a long story. Now , can I borrow the toilet so I can shower?"

Rose nodded. She still could not find the words to say.

Minutes later , Zoe returned , looking fresher. But Rose noticed the sadness in her eyes eventhough she sounded glad when she said she was happy to be here , with Rose , before she left.

"- Wait what?" Rose cut in. "Before you leave?"

Zoe shrugged and said :

"Well yeah , before I leave. You know to the mountains. I just cant stand it here. You know I dont belong here Ro. Its to uptight and full of rules here. This place ... its just .. not made for someone like me."

"Someone like you... you mean .. someone who has a .. wild heart?"

"Wild nature , more of."

"Ah."

Zoe nibbled on her fingernails. Rose had many thoughts racing through her head at that moment. Zoe leaving... something must have happened back home .... Zoe leaving ... What if she didnt come back? ... the thought was unbearable ... She made an ubrupt decision just then. If she wasnt able to stop her from going , she would follow her .. to the very end. Rose broke the silence by saying :

"Im coming with you." she said firmly.

Rose thought that Zoe would probably retort and probably ask her to stay , but instead she broke down and started sobbing. She places her clasped her hand on Zoe's and gave her a reassuring hug.

James was frantically throwing things down from his drawer and into his bag. His parents would be home soon and he wanted to leave before they started arguing. His best friend , Ethan , was out buying some degradeable underwears for him. He sighed and wished that Ethan could go with him. He couldnt bear to think what would happen to Ethan if he left. He didnt want Ethan to be bullied and teased at in school just because he was smart. James had always been there to defend and protect him from any harm or danger. He looked down at his bag to find that he had everything now , except .. for his degradeable underwears and best friend. Soon enough , Ethan came back , bringing with him 10 packs of degradeable underwear ( each pack contained 25 ) and ... an unusually big bag that he was heaving behind him. He panted up the stairs while mumbling to himself the whole time. When he reached the top of the stairs , he clapped his hands together and said rather triumphantly :

"Well , I'm all set! Let's go!"

James just stood there with his mouth hanging open.

Ethan tapped his foot unpatiently.

"Well? Are you just going to stand there with your mouth hanging open to catch flies or do you plan on actually going to the mountain?"

James blushed and said :

"Yes , yes of course I do , but - well , okay ... uhm ... take care of yourself Ethan ... um .. Look after Rose too won't you? And ah ... if you ever need anything just .. um .."

Ethan rolled his eyes and snorted.

"What? You think you're actually going by yourself?" He threw his head back and roared with laughter.

James shook his head in disbelief.

"You mean ... you're coming? To the mountains? With .. with me? "

"Caught on , have you?"

"I mean .. yes .. well ... it was .. ah .. totally expected ... what about your family? "

Ethan pursed his lips and dismissed the question with a wave of his hand.

"Well , come on! Rose and Zoe are already ready to go! Get your luggage! OI! We're going to Rose's house now."

James , eyes still wide in disbelief , let Ethan lead the way out of his own house and into the night.

Rose and Zoe were excitedly ( and also rather impatiently ) waiting for Ethan and James to press their ugly faces in at Rose's window. Ethan had dropped by not too long ago to use her room as a base before they left to the mountains. Zoe squealed and accidentaly punched Rose as a result of Ethan and James dragging themselves up at the window. One hand opening the window , another massaging the bruise where Zoe had punched her , Rose let the boys in.

Once everyone had settled down , Rose raised her hands to get their attention.

"Right , lets get organized. Zoe , you'll be holding all the clothes."

Zoe grabbed everyone's bags and dumped their clothes out on the floor the catogarize them.

"James , you're in charge of handling all the safety equipment , which you'll find in the bottom drawer over there" she waved her hand in the direction of her closet.

"Ethan , you'll be in charge of all the food supplies. You need to sort out which food to eat whenever. And I'll be in charge of the map. Uh , and toiletries. " , Rose added proudly.

"Right then , we'll be leaving at first light. Is everyone all ready? JAMES GET THE BLASTED SLEEPING BAGS TOO!"

Zoe hid a smile and silently let out a prayer to thank God for blessing her with such supportive friends and to keep her father safe.

In the morning , she would be safe. In the morning , she would be new. In the morning , she could start all over.

In the morning , that's when she would truly fly , with her friends.