Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Ghosts

When I opened my eyes, I was back in my armor and on my glider again. I looked around, confused, and was able to gather that I was back in the Lanes Between, though how I got  here was beyond me. Maybe it had something to do with that light from the Star Shard? Possible. In front of me was another world, one that I hadn't been to before. There was a castle of some sort with a garden in the center of the world, surrounded by fountains. The whole thing was lit by a sort of pinkish glow. I narrowed my eyes. This must be the place where Mickey and that other boy had been transported to as well. With that in mind, I guided my solar surfer forward and entered the world.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

Once I touched down on the world, I carefully studied my surroundings. I had landed in a large central plaza with flower beds in each corner. Pine trees grew around the edge of the plaza, with paths leading in different directions; in front of me was a path leading to a castle, to my right was a path leading to the town, to my left was a path leading to another part of the gardens. Walking around the edge was an elderly duck in a top hat and suit, with a walking cane. There was no one else around except me.

"Pyra?"

I turned around at the familiar voice and saw Terra standing on the ridge behind me. "Terra," I greeted.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, walking towards me.

"I'm looking for Mickey," I explained. "I figured he would be here. You haven't seen him, have you?"

He shook his head. "Sorry, but I just got here myself. I'm looking for someone, too."

I tilted my head. "Who's that?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.

He closed his eyes, thinking hard. Finally, he looked at me again. "Have you heard of a boy named Vanitas?"

I could feel my skin paling. I thought I'd seen the last of him years ago, when I left Master Xehanort, but it looks like he managed to come back somehow. But if he was back, then that meant.... No, I wouldn't let him, and I knew Terra wouldn't, either. "How do you know about Vanitas?" I asked, my tone coming out colder than I intended it to.

Terra seemed taken aback by my response, but then he did something that I didn't expect. He smiled. Granted, it was a sad smile, but it was a smile nonetheless. "So I was right," he said quietly. "You were Master Xehanort's other apprentice."

I swallowed hard. So he knew. I turned my face away from him, looking at the ground. "I was," I admitted, equally quiet. "Until Vanitas came, when Ven...." I trailed off, unable to say anything else. A tear slid down my cheek. "I promised myself that I would do everything in my power to keep Ventus safe, and I have every intention of keeping that promise."

I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up at him. He was gazing at me with sympathy, his eyes telling me that he knew exactly how I felt. "You don't have to do this by yourself," he said. "My friend Aqua and I, we'll help you in any way that we can. You're not alone anymore, Pyra."

I smiled at him, wiping my eyes with my hand. "Thanks, Terra," I said. He nodded, and together we started forward. "So tell me, why is it that you're looking for Vanitas?"

He kept his gaze straight ahead. "I was asked to by Master Xehanort," he said. I looked up at him in surprise. I didn't realize that he had talked to Xehanort. That meant he didn't know everything, only what the creep had told him. I opened my mouth to say something when three beings of darkness sprang up in our path.

"Unversed!" I cried, both Terra and I summoning our Keyblades.

"This can only mean Master Xehanort was right," he muttered under his breath. I wanted to demand what lies Xehanort had given him, but I decided against it. It would have to wait. Right now, we had Unversed to deal with. "You ready, Pyra?" he asked.