Chapter Three

A girl wearing a white hospital gown appeared. Her messy long brown hair hung in front of her face, making it difficult to recognise her, but her presence was familiar. Taking in my sterile surroundings, I realised we were in the MMC's facility, and she gestured for me to follow her. Reluctantly, I started after her, walking through the halls and corridors of the facility. As her pace quickened, the building became a labyrinth of walkways as we turned corners abruptly here and there. Her pace got so fast, I would catch sight of her ducking behind a corner or through a door. I kept following her, trying to keep up and not lose sight of her while still trying to make sure danger wasn't present. A heavy white door appeared with 'Sleep Room Four' printed on it in dark grey. Heaving it open, I stepped through the doorway.

'Save yourself!' I turned towards the frightened voice, but she was nowhere in sight.

'Save yourself!' This time more desperate.

Suspended from the high ceiling, a giant birdcage swayed slightly. The girl I'd been following cuddled her knees inside it. She sobbed, soaking her hospital gown and hair.

Rushing water burst into the room, pouring from the fibres of the walls. Although I tried to swim, I sank straight back to the floor, my bare feet heavy as though they had lead weights inside of them. The water rose over my face, and the sound of crying was drowned out by the sound of rushing, gurgling water. I breathed deeply, sealing my mouth and nose. Pain crept into my aching lungs, begging me for a breath of air. The intense agony grew as my vision blurred, and I inhaled a mouthful of water.

***

That dream shook me for longer than usual. It normally didn't take me long to shake off the fear, sadness, or pain and carry on with my normal day, but that morning, I remained lost in my thoughts. Who was the girl? The faint pain in my chest still throbbed, which didn't help me let the dream go. Rubbing it gently appeared to soothe the ache until, hours later, it dissolved. My thoughts were jumbled, and I had many questions with no way to answer them. I kept telling myself over and over that it was just a nightmare, in the hope it would convince my overactive brain to forget the whole ordeal.

After lunch, the time came to start my shift at the grocery store. After packing my pyjamas and a set of new clothes in my backpack, I slung it over my shoulder and headed out the door.

I was unusually distracted for most of my shift. I'd forgotten to tell a few customers to 'have a nice day', and one customer had to ask me to put her shopping into a bag. Once my shift was over, I walked to the bus stop and waited for the two-thirty bus to the city. Once again, it was time for me to visit the MMC's testing facility for another night of tests and being analysed. Remembering my dream, I crossed my fingers in hope of a cure.

***

We sat, in a row, on big comfortable couches while they took blood tests. I filled out forms outlining my sleeping habits and the dreams I'd experienced since my last visit. The bear dreams were easy to relay, but I decided to hold back when it came to the dream I'd had with the girl. Maybe it was too fresh, but I decided to keep it to myself. Maybe next time, when it wasn't so raw in my mind. I shouldn't have relayed the bear dreams, either because the doctor who read my paperwork became agitated that I was having a recurring dream. It was a step back in my treatment. And I'd hoped, as I did every visit, I would leave cured.

After they finished poking, prodding, and questioning us, we headed over to our designated beds. Kicking off my second shoe, I pulled back the crisp white sheets. A lady burst through our doorway, yelling frantically, her face red with panic and wet with overexertion.