Charmaine

The gentle breeze of the wind hitting her skin at 9 in the morning, had awakened Sleeping Beauty in the form of Mrs. Maine Mendoza-Faulkerson.

As she scratched her eyes before fully getting up from her slumber, she reached for the other side of the bed. Something she usually did before she would start another day.

"Alden?" Maine said, calling out to her husband of a year and 5 months. When she felt that the other side of the bed was empty, her forehead creased. Where had her husband gone at 9 in the morning?

Maine sat up and stretched her arms slowly.

"Another day at the beach." She smiled, looking at the magnificent view their beach house had. It has been her long time dream to acquire one, and being here now, felt a bit surreal. Actually, everything in her life felt surreal.

As Maine stood up to walk towards the balcony of their beach house, she stopped to lean by the door. She closed her eyes and inhaled the amazing scent brought out by the beach. The saltiness and the freshness rejuvenated her in every way and she was more than excited to start another day of her life as a married woman.. as Mrs. Richard Faulkerson Jr.

After having a little moment with herself, she walked towards their kitchen. She happily greeted Aling Sonya, their helper, a good morning and asked as to where her husband had gone.

"Hindi ko po alam, ma'am, eh." The latter answered while cooking breakfast for them. "Siguro maaga pa po 'yun umalis. 'Di ko na kasi naabutan eh."

Maine's forehead creased again. It was already so unlike of him to not be by her side this morning, and now he had left the beach house far earlier than Aling Sonya's waking time which was 6:30 in the morning.

Instinctively, Maine decided to walk to the beach front. Maybe he was there. Maybe he needed some "me" time, as well. But why? Did it mean that he was getting tired of being married to her? Maine was an over-thinker, and she could not help but be scared of her own thoughts.

But all that fear was washed away as she saw that familiar figure donning a white shirt and biege board shorts carrying what seemed to be a baby. With the fast beating of her heart, she knew that she found what she was looking for.

"Alden!" She smiled.

Upon hearing his name, the latter turned and smiled back.

"Love, gising ka na pala!"

Maine walked towards him.

"Ano ka ba? Pinagalala mo 'ko." She said, gently caressing his face.

"Sorry, love. Naisip ko kasing dalhin si Charmaine dito. Para naman she'll love the beach just as much as you do."

Charmaine. Charmaine Celestine Mendoza Faulkerson. The name of Alden and Maine's first born, their little bundle of joy.

Charmaine cooed as she heard her name.

"Good morning, anak." Maine smiled, touching her daughter's little hands. Charmaine held onto her pointer finger a little longer than usual, a sign that she was joyfully responding to her mother's voice.

Charmaine looked so much like her mother. From her lovely, brown eyes to the thickness of her lips, Alden couldn't help but joke around with the phrase "Grabe, wala ka talagang tinira para sa 'kin" when he realized that his daughter looked too much like Maine than him. But never did he complain, for Alden loved every thing about his wife, and he was more than happy to have her features on their daughter.

"Love, baka naiinitan na si Charmaine. Pasok muna tayo sa loob." Maine said, the moment she felt that the heat of the sun was starting to become a little painful to the skin. Alden nodded, and the three of them proceeded to their beach house.

When they got inside, Aling Sonya was ready to serve breakfast.

"Sir, Ma'am, kumain na po kayo. Ako na po ang bahala kay baby Charmaine." She said.

"Nako, Aling Sonya. 'Wag kayong mag-alala. Kumain na po kayo." Alden replied. "Alam ko naman pong gutom na kayo. Mamaya nalang ako kakain."

Maine smiled. After a year and 5 months of being married to Alden, he hasn't changed a bit. He was still as caring and as compassionate as before.

"Sigurado ka ba, love? Alam kong kanina ka pa gising. Baka nagugutom ka na." Maine said.

Alden planted a kiss on his wife's forehead and smiled back.

"Mamaya na, love. Sige na, kumain ka na. Alam kong parating nagugutom ang misis ko, kaya attack."

The three of them laughed, as Maine playfully hit Alden's shoulder in reply. Charmaine cooed in enjoyment, as if she too, was part of the conversation.

"Sige na nga." Maine said, sitting down with Aling Sonya at their dining table.

"Alam niyo ho, ma'am Maine, mahal na mahal po ni Sir Alden si baby Charmaine." Aling Sonya said, as she and Maine watched Alden carry Charmaine in the living room.

"Pag madaling araw at tulog pa kayo, ilang beses ko siyang nakikitang nakatingin sa crib ni baby Charmaine, ngumingiti and nang-iiyak iyak. Parati niya itong kinakantahan at sinasabihang mahal na mahal niya ito." Aling Sonya added. "Minsan nga po, pati ako, nadadala sa sinasabi niya at naiiyak din." She laughed gently.

Maine turned to look at Alden. She felt her eyes water as she saw him plant a kiss on Charmaine's forehead. He was such a loving husband to her, and seeing him like this to their daughter was an inexplicable feeling.

"Ang swerte swerte niyo po talaga na si Sir Alden ang naging asawa niyo."

Maine smiled.

"Alam ko po 'yun, Aling Sonya. At saka ang swerte ko din po na siya ang naging ama ni Charmaine at ng mga magiging anak namin."

And just like that, Alden and Maine's eyes met as they exchanged "I love you's".

For better or for worse, in sickness and in health. Forever, just you and me.