AU: Best Friends Forever (Part 1)

Maine glanced at her watch after finishing a chapter off one of her favorite John Green novels, Looking for Alaska. 

"8:00 pm", it read.

"Nako naman." She grumbled in her seat. "Hindi naman 'yun nale-late ah. Ngayon lang."

Today was Thursday, and Thursday was "Maine and Alden day". Maine and Alden day meant that Maine and Alden, who have been best friends ever since they were in diapers, would spend their Thursdays at their favorite cafe, just catching up about everything that was happening in their lives. 

Despite the fact that they attended the same university, Maine and Alden were enrolled in different courses and were usually busy during the day, so they always made it a point to make Thursday their day.

"Hoy nasaan ka na." Maine typed on her phone. "Kung wala ka pa dito in 10 minutes, uuwi na ako." 

"At saka, di rin kita kakausapin."

"At saka, di na ako magpapakita sa'yo every Thursday."

"O, kahit kailan."

As Maine sent these messages to him, she didn't know why she felt hurt. Yes, she was entitled to feel that way because Alden was her best friend, and he's never let her down, but this was a different kind of hurt.

Negative thoughts came rushing into her mind. Thoughts of him doing something else on a Thursday, thoughts of him hanging out somewhere else on a Thursday, thoughts of him finding someone better on a Thursday. 

She furiously closed her book, and put it in her bag. 

"Hindi. Hindi niya magagawa sa akin 'yun." Maine shook her head. "Thursday is our day. Our day." She repeated.

Maine knew why she was more than just the regular "hurt and frustrated" ditched best friend. Though she didn't want to admit it, she was possessive of Alden because.. she treated him more than a best friend. 

In the many years that she and Alden had been best friends, so many instances have caused her to fall for him. Like that time she was bullied with a bunch of wannabes when they were in high school, Alden stood up for her and fought them all away. 

When Maine's parents couldn't make it to a contest she joined, Alden was there, an hour before the competition had started just to get a good seat. He even made a little tarp for her, so she wouldn't be sad on that special day of hers. 

And who wouldn't forget their prom where Maine's date stood her up for another girl? Alden was planning to go as a stag that night, reasoning that there wasn't any girl that he liked enough to ask to prom, but when he saw his best friend bawling in her room, her eye make up completely smeared of her tears, he had changed his mind.

"Ano ka ba.." Alden kneeled, so he could be of the same level as his best friend, who was in a corner of her bed room, still crying. "He doesn't deserve your tears. Kalimutan mo na siya."

"Hindi naman ganun kadali 'yun eh." Maine said. "Pinaasa niya 'ko, Tisoy. Ang sakit." 

"Alam ko.." Alden held Maine's hand. "Alam kong masakit, pero marami namang iba diyan ah. Marami namang ibang lalaki diyan na hindi ka paaasahin, who want to take you to prom. Hindi mo lang sila pinapansin."

Maine laughed bitterly. 

"Maraming iba diyan?" She repeated. "Sige, tulad nino?"

"Ako."

Maine was taken aback by what Alden had just said. She suddenly stopped crying because of the shock that she felt. Did she just hear that right?