(5) Barking Disease

Start from the beginning

"Gay?"

"No--I mean, yes. But no." He scrubbed a hand down his face. "It's really hard for me to talk about this in front of you."

I cocked an eyebrow. "And this disease...does it make you more temperamental than usual and really hairy and hungry once a month--?"

"I'm not a werewolf."

"I was going to ask if you were on your period, but ok. Werewolf works." I eyed him for a long moment, before bursting out laughing.

"This isn't funny, Pepper," he said, gritting his jaw. "And that's not a word that you just throw around in this town. You can't tell any of your friends back at home or your family about my...differences. You can't spread rumors that I'm a werewolf or any of that shit because it's not true, and I'll get in trouble if it gets spread to the wrong people."

After a while, I stopped laughing. Probably because of the fact that I had no friends back home to begin with. It's not my fault that most people were annoying, clingy, and rude. Then again, maybe I shutup because Sin had basically implied there were lots of werewolves in town, but he just wasn't one of them.

"Alright, I believe you," I said, crossing my arms over my chest. "For now. And you know why? Because you see, your nose is completely healed, buddy-boy. Not even a bruise. There's no way your nose completely healed in two weeks."

Sin glared at me.

"You think I wouldn't notice? Well, I did. And by the way, it was broken when I kicked you in the face because I have a photographic memory and I remember precisely where the bridge of your nose lay, and it's in a different position now. Why is that? Was your nose broken after all and I just didn't notice at first? I think that observation deserves a pat on my back. Feel free to do it now as I look at myself in the mirror and internally talk to myself." Turning my back to him, I gazed at myself in the mirror. Normal me stared back, the under portions of her eyes shadowy from lack of sleep.

Aren't you the dream girl, inner me said. Look at you, compared to Sin. He's a God on legs and you're screwing with him? A guy with a pretty face can turn your world upside down.

For a moment, Sin's sharp blue eyes looked absolutely enraged. But there was a great amount of restraint in Sin that was more than evident, that prevented him from showing it any further. "I don't know what you're talking about," he said.

"So let me get this straight," I had said, leaning against the bathroom counter and staring at Sin in the mirror. He had already turned on all of the sinks as high as they could go, saying that he couldn't have anyone hear our conversation. "You have a rare "disease" that makes your nails ridiculously sharp, and your hormones and hair follicles flare up so bad that once a month you completely lose control over your temper and also get really hairy?"

"Yes."

"That is absolute BS."

"Excuse me?"

"Bullshit. Bull. Shit. Shit de bull." I narrowed my eyes at him, still debating whether or not he was lying. "Are you sure you're not just pregnant? Or...a chain smoker? You do have a little bit of a roughness to your voice. Do you share cigs in the parking lot between you and your boyfriend?"

"Pepper."

There was something about him being angry that had me practically rolling on the floor, I was laughing so hard. I finally understood the whole ROFL text shortcut.

When I wiped the tears from under my eyes and looked at Sin. His hands were clenched so hard that his knuckles were a stark white and shaking. Noticing my stare, Sin leaned looked away from me and leaned against one of the dividers between two bathroom stalls, crossing his thick arms over his chest and hiding his hands.