Chapter 4 - Detention

Start from the beginning

“I set the clock forward three hours and we’re supposed to be here for three hours so technically, our time is up” she said with a smirk. He shook his head in shock. Lucky was unlike any other girl he’s ever met. He took her hand ignoring the slight electric shocks he felt.

Lack of sleep’ he kept telling himself as an excuse for the slight shocks.

“Where are you going?” he asked her, making a move to separate from her and walk back to his car but she stopped him.

“Do you need a ride?” she asked. He cocked his head to the side and gestured to his own car. She rubbed the back of her neck in a shy manner which only served to confuse Carter. She was probably the most confident person he’s ever met. He barely talks to her and he could tell the girl was confident. “Oh right but I was wondering…” she started but Carter looked down at his watch.

“Okay bye” he cut her off and stalked off to his car and drove off, he knew it was rude to leave Lucky there without making sure they both left the premises safely but he suddenly felt the need to leave. He sighed and rested his head against the steering wheel. He was parked outside Uncle Sid’s apartment building. Huffing, he got up and headed upstairs to the apartment where he saw Uncle Sid typing away on his laptop.

“Hey man” Uncle Sid said when he noticed Carter standing there. He waved awkwardly and headed into his room and threw himself on the bed. The picture of him and Sarah was still up on the ceiling. He remembered exactly when that picture was taken because it was the day he started liking Sarah.

“Just do it!” Carter tried convincing his best friend Jordan for the fifth time. They were at their school’s concert but it was finished and now everyone was outside enjoying a whole bunch of games and booths. He was trying to convince Jordan to volunteer for the dunk tank.

“Any more volunteers for the dunk tank?” the girl in charge of it said. Carter raised his hand and pointed to Jordan.

“This guy right here!” he shouted, making Jordan elbow him in the ribs. He laughed as Jordan sat in the seat of shame and waited to be dunked but was disappointed no one seemed to be hitting the target. Sighing, he decided to go around and check out a few other booths until someone hit him.

“Carter! Can you come help us with something?” he turned around and saw, Hanna, a girl in his class but his eyebrows knitted in confusion when he noticed his friend Sarah elbow the girl lightly and whisper something but he couldn’t hear what it was.

“Sure” he said with a shrug, he walked towards the girls but he cocked his head in confusion when Sarah started fiddling with her fingers and gave him a nervous smile. They were pretty close so her behaviour was only serving to confuse him.

“Okay, so we need you to take some pictures with Sarah for the photo booth so we could stick them up to advertise it” Hanna explained to him. He nodded even though he didn’t understand the logic behind that.

“Okay so you two just stand right there. The lighting is good there” she said, positioning them. “Carter put your hand around her shoulder or something. As friends, you know?”

Carter put his arm around Sarah’s shoulder and he felt her tense up. What was up with her today? He was broken out of his thoughts when he saw the camera flash.

“Okay now just stand up facing each other but make it look like you’re in love” Hanna said bluntly. Carter’s head snapped in her direction and Sarah was beginning to look like she was about to have a nervous breakdown. “I’m kidding.”

Carter turned to face Sarah and smiled at her, she smiled back brightly and they stayed like that until he saw the camera flash again.

“Are you okay?” he asked Sarah when Hanna was done taking photos.

“Yeah” she said, giving him a smile that was obviously false.

“I don’t believe you” he said, cupping her cheek. She blushed and he smiled at that. He never noticed how beautiful Sarah was. She made eye contact with him and he felt his heart speed up.

“I’m fine” she said, waving a dismissive hand.

“If you say so” Carter sang, stuffing his hand in his pockets. She rolled her eyes and walked off but he didn’t miss the amused glint in her eyes.

Carter smiled at the picture. He wished he could have Sarah back just so he could say the things he never got to say. He had never told her the exact moment he fell for her which was unacceptable.

But sadly it was too late.