Prison Break- Prologue

An old, rundown, dilapidated-looking building sat on a hill in the middle of an island.  The island was Gotham, Its entire surface was a large city, much like Manhattan.  The building was The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane, commonly referred to as Arkham Asylum, named for Elizabeth Arkham, wife of the founder Amedeus Arkham.  It had originally served as their home, Arkham Manor, before they had become obsessed with treating the insane.  Years later, after Elizabeth had passed away,  Amedeus himself went mad and checked himself in.  After he died, the building  was shut down, but it had recently been re-opened after some of Gotham's inhabitants started losing their minds.  While common criminals usually just went to Blackgate Penitentiary, all who were declared insane were shipped to Arkham. Rumor had it that Amedeus' spirit still wandered the halls and corridors.

Alarms blared as several dark figures scrambled through the Asylums' complex maze of walls and cells towards the exit.  Insane laughter bounced off the steel walls and the limp bodies of security guards lay sprawled on the floor and on the beds in the cells.  A man in a blue uniform ran into an office and shouted, "Sir, Sir! The prisoners are escaping!"

"Who?" The other man asked.  He wore glasses and had a thick mustache.

"All of them, Mr. Gordon!"

"Great Scot! Get security to form a barrier around the premises and call the S.W.A.T!"

"The guards are dead or dying and the S.W.A.T are having trouble holding them back!"