Chapter 3

I pushed the door open, the overhead bell chiming, announcing my presence. The strong smell of fresh baked bread and coffee hit me as the door slid closed behind me. The place was quite, everyone chattering quietly or hurriedly going through some paperwork that should've been done the night before. A few people's heads turned towards me, some not caring while some looking surprised, never would anyone expect me to come here, especially not this early. I ignored their stares and made my way towards the cashier; standing behind a few old, sad looking people.

I looked around, remembering the place that held a lot of memories, it still looked the same. The dark wooden chairs and tables had been changed around a bit; a few had been taking away as the place got less used as years went by. The ceiling was low and a six foot person could easily extend their hand and touch the rough surface. The walls had not been repainted and the tired beige paint had started to chip off, there had quite clearly been an attempt in covering up the paint with pictures of the town or random flowers and trees that looked completely misplaced. I turned my attention back towards the cashier, only a couple more people in front of me. An old man with grey hairs and coffee covering his moustache was looking my way, quickly giving me a forced smile to cover up the fact that he had been staring at me in disgust.

I myself didn't really know why I had come to Hope's bakery, I was unwelcome here, I was unwanted in almost every part of the town for many reasons. I had lived here all my life, a small town in Cheshire, where everyone knew each other, and all their little secrets. The last time I had come here was when I was twelve, before drastic changes took place and the only 'safe' venue I ever went to was the pub only five minutes away from my house. That was initially going to be my destination when I stormed away from the distraught scene in my house, but then I recalled that I was still underage for a few months and it was usually quite during the day, so I would get easily caught. I wasn't going to go back home and I was hungry, so here seemed to be the only close place to come to.

"Um, miss?" I heard a high voice speak and quickly turned my head towards the voice, realizing that I got lost in my thoughts and was staring at a suspicious stain on the wall and didn't notice that it was my turn to order. A girl about my age with long brunette hair pulled into a high ponytail, and freckles covering about every inch of her face looked at me impatiently "what can I get you?"

I hadn't thought about what I wanted, not knowing what they offered, I quickly scanned the small menu that stood next to the till, the girl sighing loudly. I rolled my eyes and looked back at her "I'll have a coffee, extra sugar and a blueberry muffin," I recited, an image of my dad appearing in my mind, a little girl clutching his hand tightly. "Actually, I'll have two of that order," I quickly said, speaking without thinking.

The girl looked around as she pressed a few buttons on the machine, most likely wondering who the second order was for. I felt no need to justify my reason, so I just ignored her looks, handing her the only five pound note I had in my pocket. "It's six pounds," she said, giving me a smile. I looked down at the menu, reading what I had got, the coffee for one fifty and the muffin for a pound. I used the little maths skills I had to add that up...five pounds.

"No it isn't," I told her, she gave me a disgusted look, pursing her lips as she gave me a smile. I started feeling slightly uncomfortable, with business people and old couples sitting around tables or standing behind me in the queue, this was no place to start a fight. It was difficult for me to keep my mouth closed and not insult her like I usually would do with my short fuse.

"It is for you, an extra pound to serve a freak." I knew exactly what she was referring to, and I felt the anger build up inside me, everyone sitting in the bakery becoming a blur and all I could see was the cocky girl standing in front of me, smiling cunningly as she put her hand out, asking for money.