1. Moving In

~Jazmine~

I sit down on the top of the hood of the slick black Suburban and cross my arms. Dad continues to put bags and boxes in the back hatch and Mom carries them out. I lean back and stare at the sky, the sun barely breaking through my sunglasses. I hear the back close and Mom walks out and looks at me pointedly.

"Jazmine, let's go. Get in the Suburban." Mom says shoving an arm toward the car. I stick my nose up and ignore her.

"Jazmine, get in the car. We went over this." Dad orders. I stay rooted.

"Jazmine Brooke! Car now!" Mom scolds. I clench my jaw and stay in place. My form of protesting isn't prominent, but I hope it'll work.

"Jazmine Brooke, get in the damn car. We already sold the house." Dad says calmly. I bite my lip and sigh. I slide off the hood and walk around the car.

"You didn't even bother to see if I would care either." I whisper opening the door and sliding in. I close the door and put in my ear buds.

"Don't worry Jaz, La Push isn't that bad of a place." Dad states pulling out of the driveway. Goodbye San Diego.

•••

I groan going through boxes looking for my black bed set. I find it and set the box on my bed. I grab my drapes and hang them up. I move the box and make the bed. I pick up the frame wrapped up at the bottom of the box and my heart sinks. I set it on my nightstand beside my bed and sadly smile. It was last spring, Delyla and I were going surfing. The square lilac frame had the words 'best friends' written in a rose pink in the corner. It just won't be the same without her. I take the empty box to the corner then start hanging and folding clothes. San Diego was a lot warmer. Sure, I've came for the summer every other year, but that was the summer. It's fall and freezing. I grab another box and put it on my bed. I pull out my string of lights and hang them above my bed. I reach into the box and pull out a small trinket, a smile ghosting on my face. It was a birthday present from Jake, a dream catcher.

"Hey." A voice beams after knocking on my door frame. I turn my head and smirk. Speak of the devil.

"Hey." His eyes avert to the dream catcher in my hand.

"I remember making that." He states.

"Really?" I slightly giggle. I pat the spot beside me. "Please do tell the story." Jake rolls his eyes and sits beside me.

"Three summers ago, you were coming to visit and I had remembered that you had a birthday coming very soon. I had a week before you were coming so I went out and bought a bunch of random little things. I had remembered you saying something about acute parasomnia, so I figured that I'd have my dad help me make a dream catcher. I picked out blue and purple beads especially for you. You smiled so big when I gave it to you, I thought you'd never stop." He says. I smile and nod. I hang it above my bed where my head would be.

"Did you know that when you can't sleep at night, it's because you're awake in someone else's dream?" I ask.

"Yeah, actually I did. So, how long are you staying?" Jake asks looking into my eyes hopefully.

"Forever, I guess." I shrug. "Why?"

"I dunno, just curious."