Part VII

CHAPTER 19

The rain was coming down in sheets as we patrolled in our police cruiser. My partner, Nick Duronslett, was driving slowly, while I aimed our spotlight towards the houses lined along the streets that we were driving on. The streets had a few inches of flood water and our car was creating a tiny wake behind us. Because it was dark, it was hard to see the rain until it passed in front of our spotlight and headlights or if there happened to be a street light where we were passing. The rain wasn't the only thing being driven by the wind. Anything that was outside was fair game. Trash cans that had been left outside were either rolling or floating down the streets and sidewalks. Street signs were being twisted back and forth as if they were alive and trying to free themselves from their dirt and cement shackles. Trees were swaying as if they were dancing in the wind. Traffic lights were swaying as well as if they were listening to the same song as the trees. Strangely though, I don't remember much thunder or lightning during the storm. I found out much later that although hurricanes are made up of thunderstorms, there is very little thunder and lightning associated with hurricanes. Go figure. I'm not a scientist.

"There's something over there", I said to Nick as I pointed to a house. "Where? I don't see anything", he answered. There was leaves and branches and trash blowing around us. Not to mention the driving rain. How I saw someone moving near the house I will never know. "Pull over. Let's check it out". He pulled over and we stepped out of the car. Good thing I had my rain gear on because when I stepped out of the car, I stepped into a few inches of water. I was amazed at how noisy it was outside. We could somewhat hear the noise from inside the car, but there was a huge difference when you were outside. The howling wind, the rain, the banging of things being thrown around by the wind, and the pounding rain were all contributors. We found ourselves yelling into our shoulder radios and to each other in order to make ourselves heard. It was difficult to even hear our own voices. The pellet-like rain was coming in sideways stinging our faces making it difficult to see. The high wind made it difficult to breathe. "I think he went in there", I yelled pointing toward a particular house. Nick leaned into my ear and yelled, "It's a good thing we still have ligh . . .ts." He was interrupted by a loud electrical buzzing coming from above us. Suddenly all power was lost. We were in pitch dark blackness. The only light piercing the darkness was coming from our blue flashing police lights as well as from our hand held flashlights. "You were saying . . .", I responded.               

We moved toward the house using our flashlights to maneuver through an obstacle course of fallen tree branches, high water, and trash cans. The flood waters had not yet reached the house, so when we got to the front door, we were on "dry ground", so to speak. We drew our weapons from our holsters and signaled each other that we were ready. "New Orleans Police Department!", I yelled as I pounded on the door. The door seemed to open by itself. We looked at each other and proceeded with caution. I led the way inside as I shined my flashlight in every dark corner. Nick followed me with his left hand on my back shining his flashlight in the opposite direction as I shined. We moved in this manner throughout the house until we felt that everything was cleared. We came to the last corner of the house and my flashlight beam revealed the most pitiful looking dog I had ever seen. He was sitting in the corner wagging his tail with his ears sitting back and he was looking up at us with big, sad eyes. "There's your prowler! It's a puppy!", Nick laughed. No sooner had he said this than out of the corner of my eye, a dark shadow rushed towards me and knocked me to the ground.

CHAPTER 20

All this waiting was killing Joey. He was stuck waiting for the storm to hit and he had to wait for the arrival of their baby. It had been a long day and he was exhausted. He couldn't even imagine how tired Dana was, especially since she was the one in labor. He sat in a chair next to Dana's bed and he would occasionally nod off only to be awakened by her labor pains. He would jump up to help her with whatever she needed. Sometimes she wanted ice chips to suck on and other times she just needed comforting words. He alternated between walking to the window of the room, sitting in the chair, and walking to Dana's side. The time for delivery soon came and the baby made it known that it was coming, hurricane or no hurricane. Joey sat by Dana's side holding her hand. He tried to help as best he knew how, but he felt like he was in the way. He watched as the doctor delivered their baby and was amazed by the whole thing. He watched as Dana pushed when the doctor told her to push and before they knew it, they had a beautiful baby girl. Joey was so proud of Dana that when he saw their newborn daughter in her mother's arms, he got teary eyed. He quickly forgot about the storm and having to wait. It had all been worth it. "I just thought of her name", said Dana a little later. "Really? What?", he asked. "Katrina", she revealed. He thought a moment. "Perfect!', he smiled.