(best) Friends

"Hey, Leah! Wanna go to the café with me?"

"No, no, Leah. You're going with me!"

Leah can feel her beautiful galaxy topper being ripped out. Ashley drags her to the left, and Allie was on her right.

For her, this is normal. Being flocked by people from everywhere, getting invited to the movies every weekend, being treated to Starbucks every day- it bores her.

That's because she is perfect- she's pretty, she seems friendly, and she's undeniably smart. Her beautifully curled brunette hair falls perfectly to her waist. Her hazel eyes give her an innocent, angelic aura.

Leah is the second honor of their school. She always wins in almost everything- from small quizzes, to nationwide competitions.

She seems flawless in almost every aspect. All girls in her school look up to her. Everyone loved her. And Leah loved them back, even giving twice as much.

Leah sighs, and she abruptly pulled her arms from their strong hold. "Alright, since Ash asked me out first, I'll go with her." She calmly says, turning to Allie reassuringly. "Don't worry, Allie. I promise to go with you tomorrow."

Allie frowns. "You promise?"

Leah turns to her, as Ashley drags her out of the campus. "I promise."

*

The next day, she went to the canteen. She expected that everyone would flock to her, as usual, but this day was different. Even though the place was full of loud, chattering people- for the first time, nobody, not even a single soul, approached her. Because of this, deep inside, she was sad. She thought that everyone had enough of her.

For the first few minutes alone, she wanted to break to pieces; she wanted to cry. But after a while, she realized that she can't be everyone's friend. She could be everyone's acquaintance, but not everyone could accept her.

She decided to make a friend, and this time, she'll make sure to give it her all.

*

"I'm Leah, and you are?" She approaches a blonde- haired girl, with the bluest eyes. She is pretty, that's for sure, too.

"I'm Britney." She holds out her hand. Leah noticed her nail polish- it was bright pink, and it was overflowing with glitter. Leah looked at hers- it was plain, pastel peach. She suddenly felt ashamed.

They shook hands. They both smiled warmly. Deep inside, Leah was jumping with joy, for she had made a friend.
Or that's what she thought.

*

"Ew, Leah." Britney wrinkles her nose, disgusted. "I never knew your fashion sense sucks. No, no, don't get that."

Leah stared at her reflection on the mirror, admiring the plain prints. She looked fine, she thought.

Today was an ordinary Saturday, and Britney invited her to go shopping. Even though Leah hesitated at first, she had no choice.

She didn't want to lose Britney.

"Look, girl." Britney points to a flashy, bright pink shirt with sequins. Leah flinched at the sight of it."This one is obviously way better.

Leah submissively nods, and she gets its hanger. They go to the counter, while Britney impatiently stomps, pacing back and forth.

Leah tried to endure everything with her new friend. She tried fitting in with the glitz-and-glamour girls. She had tried flirting with boys, even if she hadn't tried mingling so much before. She tried a lot of new and wholesome things, even if she didn't like almost all of it.

It was all for Britney.

And now, she doubts herself.

"'Kay, girl." Britney sneers at her, clutching her purse, as if she didn't want to let go of it. She noticed that it was quite full. "See ya at school."

Leah waved to her. Britney hurriedly left.

Leah felt that her bag became lighter than lately. She keeps on reassuring herself that it was just her imagination. But ever since the day she and Britney met, her bag would feel lighter.

And every time she checks on her wallet, some of her money goes missing.

Leah turned red at the idea of Britney being a thief. Her hands sweat, and her heartbeat suddenly went crazy. She held the strap of her handbag, controlling her emotions that can erupt at any moment.

She anxiously went to a corner and checked.

Not only was her entire wallet, along with her ATM card, and pieces of cheque, were missing. This time, her phone magically disappeared too, which happens to have no security code at all.

*
Britney Tomlinson updated her status Sunday 10 at 10:00 am

To Miss so-perfect-my-*ss,

I NEVER KNEW YOU WERE SUCH A B*TCH!!!!!
YOU WERE F*CK*NG BRANDON ALL ALONG. YOU LIAR!
And you say I have no proof this?!
Let's see.

(Cell phone screenshot)

---
BRANDON

--Leah, I like you.

I like you too, Brandon.-

--Can you be my girlfriend?
__
Like. Comment. Share.

*

Leah's face was red- she didn't what to feel anymore. Rage, sadness, disappointment, depression. She wondered if she could even handle it all.

She spent the whole Sunday morning scrolling her Facebook news feed. She was barraged consecutively with cruel rants, not only from Britney, but from almost everyone at school.

She and Brandon didn't have a relationship on the first place- she was about to say no to him, because of Britney, who is crazy as hell for him.

Tears started rolling down her cheeks. She closed her laptop, and out of rage, she twisted the pillow nearest her.
Never in her life had she have been stabbed like this.

*

I hate them all.

Leah fought for courage to live on, and to face the nightmare reality had given her.

*
3 years later...

"Leah, you boyfriend- snatching, manipulative-!"

Leah snickers back at them, grabbing her books, and walked hastily away.

She was able to survive high school, avoiding everyone. She doesn't need any of those 'friends'. She has changed, too. She got back to wearing simple shirts and jeans. She didn't have to wear make- up. She didn't have to fake anymore.

She sits at the canteen with no one else beside her.

"Hello, I am Autumn." A tan- skinned girl, her age just like Leah's, smiled at her. She has lovely, dark curls.

"I'm new here, so is it okay if I join you?"

Leah's heart skipped a beat, sparking a new hope within her.

"W-why not?"

Autumn sits down closely to her. Leah didn't move away. She had a feeling that Autumn won't be like Britney or the others. She sees a hint of sadness, and compassion in her eyes.

"Would you like some chocolate?" Autumn unwraps a Hershey's chocolate bar.

Leah felt bliss, and joy she had missed on those cold, three years.

"Yes, I'd love to have some."