Chapter 25: Not That Bad

Start from the beginning

"That's why you said you couldn't hang out with me after soccer practice, but the only thing you seem to babysitting is Kimberly's lips," he hisses, throwing an accusing finger at my poor, red-headed best friend.

Charlie, not pleased by Aiden's tone with Kimberly, straightens his ears to points and pulls his lips back in an angry snarl, stepping in front of Kimberly as if to guard her. She absently pats his head, but doesn't tell him to stand down. Aiden's eyes trail down to the dog, and he matches Charlie's expression with one of his own, even adding a dog-like growl. Charlie stands his ground and pulls his lips back even further, showcasing all of his canine teeth.

"Alright, enough," Travis orders, stranding up from the bench. I never noticed before, but Travis seems to be about the same height as Aiden. Maybe even a little taller. "Aiden, I wanted to tell you, but I knew you would react like this."

"React like what?" 

"Like an over dramatic little child who's having a temper tantrum."

"I am not acting like that, you asshole. I'm just shocked. I can't believe you lied to me."

"It wasn't Travis's idea!" Kimberly chimes in, standing up from her place on the bench as well. Everyone, including me, turns their heads at her. "Down, boy," she says to Charlie, who immediately runs toward me with a wagging tail. 

"I wanted to keep it a secret because I thought you would try to convince him to break us up. I know you don't like me," she admits shamefully, her eyes on the pavement. She looks significantly shorter compared to Aiden and Travis, especially since she's standing between them.

Aiden just stares at her with a look that edges on sympathy. "Hey, don't be crazy. I would never ruin Travis's relationship with someone if they make him really happy."

"She does," Travis agrees, winding an arm around Kimberly's waist and planting a kiss on her cheek.

"Well, there you go. I'm happy for you too. Just in the future, tell me what's going on." He laughs, clapping a friendly hand on Travis's shoulder.

The couple both release breaths, as if they've been holding it since they started dating. 

"Oh, thank you for understanding, Aiden. We really did want to tell you, and Addie told us to tell you---"

At the sound of my name, I stop patting Charlie and frantically wave my arms to stop Travis from saying anything more. Viewing the panicked look on my face, Travis instantly slams his jaw back into place, stopping himself in the middle of a sentence.

But the damage has been done.

Aiden's understanding smile turns into a suspicious glare. He turns his head back at me with a raised eyebrow.

"What do you mean? Addie knew, too?" he repeats in a slow, warning tone.

"No, not at all!" Kimberly disagrees a little too lightly.

"Addie didn't know anything, she's just finding about this," Travis lies, glancing at me.

Aiden just crosses his arms, clearly not buying it for a second.

"Okay, stop lying, guys," I tell them, and they both flash me looks that say 'RED ALERT! RED ALERT!'

"I knew about it," I confess, meeting Aiden's gray eyes.

"You what? And you didn't tell me?"

"She wanted to tell you! We just wouldn't let her," Travis supplies in a defending voice.

"Guys, it's okay. He said he understood. He should understand this, too."

The pair cease their efforts of lying to protect the fact that I knew about their relationship. We all stare at Aiden, waiting with bated breath, to see if he will completely understand, and just let the whole thing go. Or if he will totally blow this out of proportion, and be offended that I didn't tell him, and furiously storm off.