Segments

The Fragile reality - Chapter 2 - Segments
----------------------------------------------

Morning came, and Liu was the first to awaken.
"Yayyy crack of fucking dawn" he mumbled, grabbing his coat and marching down the stairs and out of the door, before anyone else was even awake.

Shifts with security had shitty hours to say the least, ranging from normal hours to 18+ hour days on patrols... Which unfortunately was today.
Liu looked around the settlement. Almost silence. unusual.

"Hey! Kid!" A middle aged man called from the gate.
Liu turned, and saw the entire security force on the gates. Terrified, isn't a strong word to describe their faces.
"What's going on?"
"Get up here! Your one of the art kids right?" He murmured quietly.
"Err... Yeah?" Liu said climbing the stairs, crouching down to avoid being seen.
The man, now wide eyed pointed outside the gate.

Clockwork legion.

Liu's heart began to race. They were in the distance, but DEFIANTLY coming this way.
"Their must be thousands of them!"
"Nah. Only a few hundred."
Liu looked at him in confusion.
"How'd you-"
"We counted 'em on morning patrol. What are we gonna do?!" Panicked the man.
Liu paused to think.
"I know. I'll go wake Jenson, he'll know."

Seemed like Jenson putting him on the earliest shift was best for everyone...

Liu saw the approving nods of the soldiers, and ran down the deserted street, round the corner, through the second street to the old Apartment building. Jenson's "pad". Urgh.
Before he turned the final corner, Jenson's voice echoed through the street.
Liu turned the corner taking a breath.
"Hey! Shit for brains! Have you-
"I'm well aware of the situation piss stain." He called walking towards Liu. He was accompanied by one of his faceless goons: one of the tallish guys, always dressed in a black trenchcoat and a hockey mask. Sometimes they wore clown ones at the executions. More disturbingly, they hardly ever speak and commutate using sign language.
"Well?!"
"What?"
"What are you DOING to stop it?"
"Me?" Jenson laughed as his goon lit a cigar for him, he took it and shoved it in his mouth.
"Thanks pumpkin. Anyway, me? No little kid. YOUR the soldier, you fight the battles."
"But-"
"Hush." He said putting a finger forcefully on his lips.
"Remember the FireFall Gun store?"
Liu shook his head.
Taking his finger away, Jenson said:
"Its where we stashed the guns. Remember? On 3rd. Down there, past the police station. Go get 'em."
"OK!" Liu said, turning and sprinting to the stash.

'Wearing that white coat again. He'd look good if it weren't for his douche personality' He thought to himself while running.

Jenson looked after him, shaking his head. His goon tapped his arm.
"Huh?" He grunted, looking to face him. "What is it?"

"Do you think its a good idea to sent him there? What if he actually makes it?" He signed.
"Who cares? If he makes it, he'll die. We lost contact with that station a week ago. Besides, without him to look at, I'll get some work done." He laughed as his goon nodded.
"Move the prisoners. We've got to pack up."
The goon nodded, running back inside. Jenson threw the cigar away and pulled out a pistol from his pocket.
"I've got a house visit to make."

~

Liu stopped to breathe outside the station.
"Alright. Lets..."

"Oh my god..."

A massacre. Bodies ripped apart, blood painted the road, bullet shells every where.
"What the fuck...?" Liu muttered. How could this happen INSIDE the settlement walls...?

No. Time. Liu bolted inside and grabbed the boxes of what Jenson calls: little fucking Miracles. Tiny, flat squares that unpacked into plasma rifles. Definitely alien tech. But we can use it, so who cares?

He grabbed as much ammo as he could, that looked like little green marbles which Each held 50 rounds. He couldn't carry 48 squares
AND the ammo, and ther'ye was no time to get the van outside loaded up. He Looked up; satchel. Wall.

Grabbing it off the wall, he shoved everything into the bag, and walked towards the exit.
"Ahh fuck it." He went back in to grab the numerous Handguns as well.
"Human touch never hurt anyone. Except... Each other. Ah, that means it works!" They were already loaded. Thankfully. Their was enough space in the bag too, get in. Taking a deep breath, he sprinted back.

But even Liu can't run fast enough to help now.

~

Cheering erupted from the gates as Jenson approached, but that's not a sight to like. The citizens are awake now, some outside some in their homes, looking outside.
Jenson laughed, and drew the gun, pointing it upwards.

And fired.

"Stop you stupid fucker!!" A kid yelled as he fired.
Due to the commotion, cerys was awake. She knew something was wrong. She shook Nicole awake.
"Urrgghh.... What?!"
"Look outside!"
"I'm gonna strangle you, what is so IMPORTANT?!"
"JENSON IS-"

The plan was going great.

A loud screeching noise erupted from the outside. One the soldiers only had time to open her mouth before a legionary blew it clean off her face.
"CONTACT FRONT!!"

the gates lit up like fireworks, and bodies fell to floor like leaves in autumn. Blood ran like a river down the street and painted the walls, windows and Jenson's nice suit.

Nicole and cerys hit the floor, fucking terrified.

The doors creeked open and waves off legionnaires marched inside...
...saluting Jenson.

"Haha!! AWESOME! YOU KILL THE FOLK, ILL GET THE SHEPARD'S!" his demented laugh erupted through the streets as the legionnaires screeched running past, guns drawn. Panic started as the killing began.

Nicole peeked outside to see the horror. Jenson saw her.
"Hey kiddo! WANNA PLAY A GAME?!" he yelled firing at the upstairs windows.

Nicole and cerys screaming woke everyone else.
"What the- OH SHIT!"
Cena yelled coming through the door and jumping half a mile backwards. He motioned for everyone to crawl to him, which was successful. Everyone's in the corridor now.

BANG. downstairs. The door had been kicked in... Jenson.
"What is going on?!" Sophie spluttered already crying.
"JENSON IS FUCKING KILLING PEOPLE!"
"And the legion are taking his orders!" Cerys said shaking.
Cena ran into the boys dorm and grabbed a pistol Liu had gave him. Loading it he commanded;
"BATHROOM NOW!"
Everyone ran to the bathroom at the end of the corridor. Jenson's head peeked around the corner.
Cena instantly reacted as everyone was running, firing wildly at the top of the stairs.

He began to walk backwards.
"OH OH OH!! GOT A GUN EH? DOES ME, NOW I'M PISSED!" Jenson ran upstairs, firing.
Cerys screamed as the bullets flew everywhere. Cena fumbled backwards into the bathroom with the others. They all squatted in the corner as cena counted mentally how many bullets he had left. Four. He hands violently shook and his breathing sped up. Nicole helped steady his hands while telling aloud:
"Its gonna be fine... Its gonna be fine."

Jenson popped in a new clip, his footsteps sounded louder than a earthquake.

"Here I come kiddies..."
He giggled.

Three, two, one.

The door opened.

...And the firing began.