Chapter 1

“Silentpaw fetch some marigold please.” A raspy tom’s voice ordered.

A small black she-cat nodded. “Yes Brownwhisker.” She mewed quietly and padded over to a crack in the cave wall. Following the scent of marigold Silentpaw grabbed a mouthful of the golden leaves and padded back out.

"Silentpaw, tell your mentor not to fuss over me.” A guardian tom snorted.

“Oh Sharpclaw, he wouldn’t listen to a blind kit like myself.” Silentpaw smirked.

The tabby tom’s amber gaze seemed to look right into her. “Your markings still confuse me.”

Silentpaw blinked her pale green unseeing eyes and gave her chest a quick lick. Silentpaw was a black she-cat just named an apprentice with a crescent moon shape patch of white fur on her chest, paws, ear tips, tail tip and a clump of white fur on her head.

“She is rather unique Sharpclaw but she is a very beautiful kit.” Brownwhisker meowed. “Much like her mother.”

Sharpclaw nodded. He flinched slightly when Brownwhisker pressed marigold poultice on a deep scratch. Brownwhisker licked the poultice off his paws. “You’re done Sharpclaw.” He meowed. The dark tabby tom stood up and looked at Silentpaw.

“Hopefully I’ll see you around the training hollow.” He meowed and walked out of the den.

Brownwhisker glanced at Silentpaw but said nothing to her. He stood up and went over to where the herbs were kept. “I suppose you’ve been battling yourself on what your destiny is.” He meowed after a few heartbeats.

Silentpaw sighed. “I like being a medicine cat but…I don’t know I feel like I should be doing more.” She mewed. “Like I’m not doing enough to help Streamclan.”

Brownwhisker sighed. “Silentpaw...with you being blind…you know you will never be a true guardian.”

"But that never stopped my father now did it?” Silentpaw growled.

“That’s not the same! He wasn’t fully blind and besides…he got killed anyway.” Brownwhisker snarled.

Silentpaw growled and gritted her teeth. “I could be a guardian! I know I could!”

“This is why you’re a medicine cat. You’re too naive and foolish to understand!” Brownwhisker hissed.

Silentpaw fell silent. His words had stung, she scratched the cave floor with her claws and stormed out of the cave. Her only thoughts running through her mind now was proving him wrong. How dare he! Has he forgotten my father was one of the best guardians in history? I’ll show him…I’ll prove them all wrong.

   ~*~

“Keep your tail still and keep focus.” A small jet-black she-cat apprentice mewed to Silentpaw.

Silentpaw nodded and took a deep breath. She held her tail as still as she could. Her mind laughed at her feeble attempts to correct something that she shouldn't even be thinking about. She was suppose to be a medicine cat.

"Silentpaw!" The black she-cat, better known as Ravenpaw broke into her thoughts. "You missed again..."she sighed.

Silentpaw let out a yowl of frustration. She dug her ebony colored claws into the dusty ground. "I can't believe this..." she hissed.

Ravenpaw sighed and walked over the frustrated Silentpaw. "It's not going to come easy." she mewed. "Everything in life is going to be an uphill battle, especially for you. You were born without sight but you have other senses."

Silentpaw looked at the ground. She could see the image in her mind, but not in color. Everything was black and white. The scents and sounds were like sight itself.

Ravenpaw's soft voice poured into Silentpaw's ears. "You must learn to channel your other senses..."

"And how do I do that Ravenpaw?" Silentpaw growled.

"Keep your mind and heart open, throw your caution to the wind. Listen, for the smallest beetle, the tinniest noise. Silence is your talent, use it to fight fearlessly. Don't rely or lean on anyone but yourself. Prepare, for everything that you must fight for. Life isn't easy...not for anyone." Ravenpaw moved silently to the other side of clearing.

Silentpaw looked up, her blind gaze following her friend as if she could see. "Attack me..."she meowed. Something was stirring inside herself.

Ravenpaw smirked. "I've been waiting for that command..." She growled. Quick as lightning the small black apprentice shot forward. She charged her friend, claws unsheathed.

Silentpaw had shut her eyes, listening. She snarled and lunged into the air. Ravenpaw raced under her, shocked the she-cat slid to a stop. Silentpaw yowled and crashed back down on Ravenpaw's shoulders squarely. She dug her claws into her shoulders and flipped her over on her back. Ravenpaw wriggled under Silentpaw's grasp, her yellow eyes shocked. Feeling satisfied, Silentpaw jumped off and sat with her tail curled around her paws, she wore a smirk.

"That was perfect Silentpaw...absolutely perfect." Ravenpaw meowed out of breath.

Silentpaw smiled.

"I'll say that was perfect." A smooth voice floated through the clearing. A thin and fragile looking she-cat stepped into view. Her fur was gold with black leopard spots, her eyes a shocking green.

"Leopardstar..." Ravenpaw bowed at her clan's leader.

Silentpaw did the same.

"Silentpaw, Brownwhisker told me about your feelings." The she-cat mewed walking over to the black and white apprentice. "I never doubted your heart." Leopardstar licked Silentpaw's ears. "You're so much like your father."

Silentpaw let out a purr. "Thank you." she mewed.

"However..."

Silentpaw blinked and moved her gaze toward her leader's voice.

"Are you aware of the dangers that a guardian must face?"

Silentpaw held her head high, facing her leader. "I'm aware...and I am not afraid. I'm willing to risk everything, from my last breath."

"Hm..."Leopardstar looked at Ravenpaw. "Ravenpaw?"

"Yes Leopardstar?"

"You are gifted with knowledge that only Skyclan should wield..." Leopardstar paused. "but, I believe you should teach Silentpaw how to be a guardian..."

Ravenpaw stared at her. "But I'm only an apprentice myself..."

"And yet you know so much about being a guardian!" Leopardstar walked in slow circles around Ravenpaw. "Are you challenging my leadership?" she growled.

Ravenpaw straightened her back. "I'm not..."she growled back.

"Good...then you shall put your knowledge to use and train Silentpaw."Leopardstar meowed. Without another word the golden tabby disappeared through the entrance of the clearing.

Ravenpaw looked at her friend shocked. "But I'm still an apprentice myself..."

Silentpaw growled something. "Take me with you on your patrols, and when you go hunting. Even your battle training days." she meowed staring at Ravenpaw as if she could see. Ravenpaw nodded at Silentpaw's requests.

And now's my chance to prove to the clan what I'm capable of... Silentpaw thought to herself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! The people in the cast are me and my friends from school incase you were wondering. I've had a few people wonder who they were. But I'll continue to update and hopefully I'll get some pictures of the cats drawn and shown on here.

enjoy!!! ~Hannah Christine