Chapter Three

Josh's POV:

Violet ended up being right about the assembly.

The principal droned on about how he felt that this was going to be 'the best year yet'.

I ended up leaving school that day with a migraine and a ringing noise in my ears.

Thankfully that night my mom didn't press on until I told her everything that happened like she usually does.

The next morning I followed Violet to first block and sat down in the seat next to her.

After the teacher took roll, he informed me that guidance needed me for a meeting.

I slowly walk to the office into the guidance room.

"You must be Josh," says a woman behind a desk.

I nod my head, shutting the door behind me.

"I'm Mrs. Gibson, I'll be your counselor. You may take a seat,"

I hesitantly sit down in one of the black chairs placed in front of her desk.

"You're not in trouble," she says with a smile. "I just want to talk to you about your future."

"My future?" I thought.

"Looking at your transcripts, I noticed that you have good grades and are in the right path for having a bright future. What are your plans after high school?"

"I don't really have any plans after high school. I'm hoping I can just play drums the rest of my life,"

"Drums?" she let's out a small laugh. "This isn't a joke, Mr. Dun. What about college?"

"I don't see college being something for me. I want to play drums,"

"I hate to be the person to tell you, but you can't play drums for the rest of your life. You're going to need some type or plan B, because odds are, you're not going to make it,"

I felt like my dreams were being crushed right in front of me.

"You have so much potential, don't waste it. Come back to me when you're serious,"

I walk out of the guidance office feeling more upset than I did before I even entered the office.

I make it back to first block and sit down.

"How did it go?" Violet asks quietly.

"It went... well," I lie.

"That's good,"

I look around the room, looking for other people who looked nice. I notice a guy seated on the other side of the room.

"Who's that?" I ask.

Violet scoffs, "That's Tyler Joseph, aka basketball douche bag. He used to be really close friends with my brother. Then whenever we reached high school, he stopped talking to us. He became different, distant even. I don't really know what caused him to change, but you don't want to get to know him."

"Good to know," I say quietly.

I mentally scold myself for thinking that he looked cute.

I guess Violet noticed that I was staring at him.

"Stop staring," she laughs. "It's weird."

I snap out of my thoughts, "Oh... I, I...,"

"I get it," she lowers her voice. "You think he's cute."

I felt my face grow hot. "No... no."

"Don't worry, I'm not going to judge you,"

I let out a sigh in relief. Feeling like that couldn't have been any more awkward. I close my mouth, deciding that speaking isn't the best option for me right now.