Quinn : The Aftermath

Okay, so the deal with this story is that it'll switch POVs quite a lot... but only by chapter! so yesh :3 you'll see why soon!

*****************************************************************************************************

I left right afterwards.

Nobody saw me. Nobody cared. Nobody tried to stop me. Not even Macy. Not even my best friend. 

I can't believe this.

It was a soggy but unusually warm New Year's, and a fine drizzle penetrated my jacket as I walked home. The hem of my jeans was soaked and dirty in minutes, my Converse leaking after the second puddle. I walked slowly, watching the sidewalk, my arms wrapped around my stomach. My flyaway blonde hair stuck to my pale cheek; my mascara and eyeliner smeared under my eyes. I probably looked... I couldn't even think of a word to describe me at that moment.

I didn't even realize I was crying until he stopped me.

"Are you okay?"

I stopped in my tracks, looking up from the dull cement and into the greenest pair of eyes I had ever seen, shaded by a shock of black hair. The boy standing in front of me stood a good six inches taller than me; I couldn't tear my gaze from his tanned face, and suddenly I felt very conscious of my puffy eyes and mussed hair. I looked down quickly. "Uh, yeah. I'm fine."

I could hear him move closer and anxiously tucked a lock of my wet hair behind my ear. "No, you're not." I shivered and clutched at my jacket, shuffling my feet as the cold of the rain settled in. "How can you tell?" I asked, not hiding my unhappiness. 

He chuckled softly. "Most people wouldn't be out wandering the streets just after the New Year kicks off," he said, and when I looked up I saw a hint of a smile playing on his lips. "Especially not in the rain."

I shrugged. "I'm done partying." Even though he didn't seem satisfied, I jumped onto a different topic. "So, why are you out here? Shouldn't you be off with your buddies, getting drunk or something?" I didn't realize how bitter the words were until I had uttered them. Dear Lord, have mercy. 

But he only chuckled. "Maybe I should be. But I'm not. And you're here." I could feel his intense gaze settling on me, and shifted I uncomfortably.

"Yeah, so what." 

I looked at everything but his eyes. His black hoodie. His loose jeans. His old Nikes. His broad shoulders. His well-defined chin.

"So I think there's something going on here."

Finally I forced myself to look at his face. "Maybe there is. But it's none of your business. Just..." I took a shaky breath, and my voice broke. "Just leave me alone!" 

I pushed past him and walked quickly down the street, my hands stuffed into my pockets, shoulders hunched against the drizzle. 

"Wait!" he called. I shut out his voice and marched onward, determined to leave him behind. I heard hurried footsteps and suddenly he was in front of me again. I almost ran into him, but caught myself.

"I'm Mason."

I gave a frustrated sigh and looked up at him. 

Mistake.

Just at the sight of his concerned face, my heart crumpled. There was only so much I could take in one day. From loosing Ryan, to being left behind by Macy... I just wanted this all to be a bad dream; I could wake up soon, with the world made right. Hot tears spilled over my cheeks. I looked down at my soaked Converse, struggling to keep my sobs contained. 

I felt the boy put a tentative hand on my shoulder. I shivered.

"Are you okay?"

I didn't have to say anything. Couldn't he tell that something was obviously not right? I shook my head, letting loose a choking sob. My vision blurred, and I brushed my tears away impatiently. How could I cry in front of a total stranger? I took a deep breath and tried to move past the boy — No, he had a name. Mason — but he still had a firm hold on my shoulder. "Do you want to talk about it?" he asked.

I looked up at him, not caring about anything anymore. He was a complete and total stranger and wanted me to confess everything, just like that. "No," I said, jerking his hand off my shoulder. "No, I really don't. And even if I did, why would I want to tell you?! I don't even know you!" I continued, my voice raising in pitch and volume. Who did he think he was? "You could be some... some serial killer or something!"

The rain was falling harder now, in hard droplets. My hoodie was passed soaked. I hated this. All I wanted to do was go home. I was tired, heartbroken, and miserable. And this Mason kid was playing with me.

I wanted him to leave.

He laughed. "No, I'm certainly not. I go to Lakeview High School, and you probably would have heard about me if I was."

His light tone annoyed me until I realized what he'd said. "Well that doesn't mean — Wait, did you say Lakeview?"

He nodded. "Yeah. I'm a junior."

"I go there too," I said hesitently. "How come I haven't seen you?" I wracked my brain, trying to place this guy at my school.

Mason shrugged. "It's a big place."

That was true. With over 500 kids in the graduating class, Lakeview was huge. I still was baffled though. Surely we had some classes together; We were in the same grade for God's sake. 

Mason took a small step closer as the rain drove harder. "I've seen you," he said above the raindrops.

I backed away. "God, Mason. Stalker much?" But I laughed. I laughed. I couldn't believe it. I had just been dumped (or something like it) and I was laughing. At the thought of Ryan my smile was wiped from my face and I looked down at the ground.

"Sorry... I just..." He trailed off as he watched my expression change. 

I sighed. "Don't worry about it," I mumbled, not sure if we were still on the same topic.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

I sighed again. "I don't know."

"Quinn, I —"

My eyes jerked to his. How. The. Heck. Did. He. Know. My. Name.

"How did you—"

"You're not invisible you know."

What was that supposed to mean?!

I scowled at him. "But somehow you are," I retorted.

Mason sighed. "Do I need to explain?"

The rain was really driving me nuts. I shivered and mustered all the bitterness I could.

"I'm tired, I'm soaked, I'm standing here talking to a guy who I've never met before but who knows my name. I don't know how you did, but all I know is that you creep me out. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going home." I turned to pass him, but while I was standing my legs have forgotten how to move correctly. My knees almost buckled, but I felt strong arms under mine as he caught me. I was exhausted, and tears blurred my vision. Mason helped me to my feet again and I could feel him looking intensely at me.

"Come with me," he said softly.

"No, I—" I tried to protest, but my voice was weak.

"Quinn. Just trust me."

I would have laughed if an attack of sobs hadn't rendered me mute. 

I ignored all thoughts of serial killers and rapist and let him lead me away.

****************************************************************************

So what do you think of that, loves? Is Mason gonna murder Quinn in a dark alleyway? Or is he a knight in shining armor? Will post some more soon! (: