Task Three: Paul Afflvement

Pavement wasn't looking to find a large square-circle device that opened up to allow him to find four small blocks of wood, but he wasn't unhappy with it. In fact, he was rather amused by the Capitol's obvious niceness to him. They knew that if he was to win they'd have to keep him warm. And it was obvious that he, of all people, was going to win. In fact, it was expected. Pavement was the best of the best. He thought so, and he was the smartest guy he knew...so it had to be true.

"This is going to be a good day," he muttered to himself. The walk back to his camp was good and long, two things Pavement loved. Like Sam. Or at least, he hoped Sam was like that. The boy had slept the majority of the night and he was still laying, covered up by blankets, when Pavement got back. As he started to set up the logs, two more devices floated down. Though their incessant beeping was god-awful-annoying, the blankets he found inside were definitely not. With a grin, he threw one on top of the boy and tossed the other around his shoulders. "Thank you, magic-sky-gods."

The magic-sky-gods were pleased with him, so he was pretty pleased himself. It was the humming that woke up Sam, for a few minutes later he was blinking. Pavement was still trying to light his fire, which wasn't going as well as he'd thought it would. Two rocks, for some reason, didn't magically bang and create fire. What a fucking let down.

"Good morning, sexy." The sexy boy did not reply, but Pavement didn't care. He liked silence in a guy. In fact, it made him sexier.

"Did you sleep well?" he asked cheerfully, "I have to say, you about made me shit my pants at the Cornucopia. I thought you were supposed to like people." Shaking his head, Pavement chuckled. In reality, he was absolutely terrified to be talking to him. Sam had killed so many people, and had done it so ruthlessly...if he hadn't tied up Sam, Pavement probably wouldn't been killed as well. But it's okay, he thought, because he's tied up. I'll get him to trust me and then I'll untie him. It'll be perfect. Just don't show fear. They live off fear. Like fucking snakes. Snakes are fucking bastards.

"I didn't know what I was doing." What a fucking lie.

"Well, you damn well could have fooled me."

"Why am I tied up?" Sam was shivering, even his voice was. Is he still cold? Should I give him my blanket? If this damn fire would light then he wouldn't be cold.

Joking was the best way not to show fear, Pavement figured. "Well, I was going to tie you to a tree and have my way with you—but seeing as you're awake," he chuckled as a log fell from his fire ring, quickly scooped back up by his firm hands, "I guess it's more for my protection."

"You can't just tie people up."

"Pshaw, it won't hurt you. When you agree not to fucking rip my spine out and cut my body into pieces, I'll untie you. Until then you'll just have to enjoy the delicious waves of heat flying off of my fire," Pavement said. He reached into his pocket and pulled out some rocks, striking them together to light a flame in the logs. Something about the way that they were perfectly cut and had no flaws at all spoke Capitol, but Pavement wasn't complaining. As long as it worked, it worked. "Tada! Instant fire, just add—me."

Pretty boy sighed, which said way more than words could have. He wasn't happy to be there with Pavement. No one really was, and no matter how hard he tried to convince himself that he didn't believe it...it never truly worked. Sam wasn't going to like him no matter how good Pavement was to him. Still, he didn't want to see the boy die just yet. Nor did he want himself to die. "I promise I won't kill you," Sam said. "You'd kill me first anyways."

"Haha, not buying it." Pavement grinned as the fire began to grow hotter and the coldness that had seeped into his bones slowly receded. The Games were going almost exactly as he had planned. Several had died, he'd killed three already, and he was ready to kill more as soon as dawn once again made his golden appearance. The night, in all her glory, was staying for longer than expected. Stars and snow never mixed, for with one, it was nearly impossible to see the other. He longed to see the stars and be entranced by their beauty, but instead he'd just have to settle for the snowclouds and their delicious threats of death and destruction. "Maybe you should try singing me a song. I always could trust a songbird."