Part 3- An After "Party"

The first thing that runs through my mind, is the fact that I have to walk up stage. This is stupid because I've been walking all my life, it's just that in the last five minutes my walking has been failing me. Devin helps me stand up and I never take my eyes off of him. I don't dare turn around and I don't dare begin my journey of Royalty.

The council must have been searching for youth in the next session, and when they saw me on their list, they must have hoped for a young, smart, and graceful queen, but little did they know they chose the screwup.

"Lee, you need to go up there now. It's time to go." I violently shake my head as Devin's calm whisper and soft hands brush me. I quickly mouth the words "NO NO NEVER."

"Leina Rosalind, please step up to the stage." The council awaits me. Without turning around or leaving Devin's view, I give my answer.

"NO THANKS. I DON'T REALLY WANT TO BE THE QUEEN. THANKS ANYWAY." Hoping I may pass by with this, I smile graciously and slightly turn to the stage where everyone stares me down.

"I apologize Leina Rosalind but by all rules and means you must be crowned the queen as chosen by the council. Please step up to the stage." The announcer was not very kind.

My quick eyes give away my hopeful escape of running past Mother's chair, and Devin grabs me and picks me up.

"Go up there. Now." I shake my head, practically begging with my only available muscles, but Devin brings me up to the front of the crowd, and sets me down to walk up the stairs.

I turn finding hundreds of beady eyes examining the new queen. The surroundings are as quiet as a mouse in the night, and grape juice still drenches me. One of my bows falls from my bird's nest hair and I don't dare to bend over and pick it up. Devin urges me to go as he casually walks back to his seat.

I begin the walk of shame, up the large gold steps. While there are only four, they are the four most important I will ever take. Fortunately, I enter beside the announcer with out a single trip. I hadn't yet seen him from our back seats. His fuzzy brown hair kind of loops off to the side, and his mint green tie is also crooked. He smiles at me and shakes my hand. I don't smile back. I turn to the crowd, astonished at the quietness and the patience. They look like little puppies sitting and awaiting their treat. I try to smile, but it's more of an awkward crick to the sides of my cheeks. Suddenly, I become afraid they are red, or that I have dirt or grape juice stained on my face. I should have checked in the bathroom. Bringing my hand to my cheeks, I casually wipe them, but not as casually as I'd thought.

"Let's hear it for our new Royal Family for session 136!" The crowd only cheers a bit, due to the awkwardness of my presence.

I'm not so sure what happened but it went by so quickly. First we are ushered into the council's main dressing rooms to change into our dining wear. The tailor hands me a pale pink and white rose patterned gown that drapes past my ankles. Then I am given a small, frail, white basket of dark red roses, and am instructed to hand them out to fellow citizens during the tea party. We are set into a blank white carriage with two cloud looking horses and a driver wearing pink. I look down at my new dress, which matches his suit. The sleeves are a bit large, but other than that I have no complaints. The pink is outlined with a white rose pattern, and a large white bow is wrapped around my waist. Logan's suit consists of white and pink patterns as well, and to break the awkwardness I try to start a conversation.

"Well I sure didn't expect this." Great. Now we can talk about nothing because I seem to blurt out every obvious thing in the world.

"Yeah. I sure didn't think they'd pick a pair as young as us." He smiles and brushes his curls out of his face again. I can now recognize him from school but he is two years older than me. I'm glad he's at least kind enough to make chit-chat.