Chapter 4

"Is this for real?!" I whispered harshly.

Edward looked at me, frowning.

"This is the man who you were supposed to marry?"

"I think so," I replied, grimacing.

"Okay, I'm gonna hide... somewhere. Tell everyone I left for the bathroom!"

I slipped under the table when no one else was looking and was careful not to touch anyone's feet. I crouched in an uncomfortable manner and tried my best to not hit my head against the top of the table.

"Where did Liselotte go?" My father asked.

"She went to take a bathroom break ten minutes ago." Edward smoothly replied.

There was a moment of silence until I saw Charlie's chair move to the back and he left it, walking towards Jacob.

"I need to talk to you for a moment." He said and then the doors opened, making them disappear into the hallway.

I heaved a sigh and was about to come up again when my mother stood up too.

"Edvard, tell my daughter to see me in my chamber once she comes back."

Edward nodded and she left. I finally came up and had my eyes wide in shock.

"What the hell just happened?"

"I don't know, but there's something about this boy. I'm not letting you out of my sight until he gets out of the castle." He said before standing up.

"Come on."

I followed him and left the dining hall with him. I held his hand as we walked and he gripped mine back.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Your father had a talk with me before I was shown to the guest chamber in an empty chamber. I think him and that Jakob boy is there."

"So what are we going to do? Eavesdrop?" I looked at him as we picked up the pace.

"There's just something about him... I can't put my finger on it." He replied. "But I know there's something up."

He slowed down when we walked down a certain hallway and stopped at the only door there. I looked through the keyhole and could see two figures— one sitting and one standing.

My father and Jacob were there in the room, my father sitting on a velvet chair and Jacob was pacing back and forth, looking very bemused by something.

"So Liselotte won't marry me because she doesn't know who I am?" He asked Charlie.

He replied with a nod. "She ran away so that the marriage ceremony wouldn't happen, and that was how desperate she was to get out of the situation. Now that she has found someone else to marry who's suitable, I gave her and her future husband my blessings."

"And who is this future husband of hers? Why would you let her marry him and not me? I came to you first for her hand and—"

"She's clearly happier with him, since she has the choice of choosing. Lucky for her, her fiancé is a prince." Charlie told him, interrupting his words.

"A prince of what country? Is his country offering a reliable alliance? How strong is this country? You never thought of that, did you?" Jacob snapped, unhappy.

"I didn't need to think about it," Charlie sounded exasperated, standing up from his seat. "Her future husband is the Tsarevich of the Russian Empire, and his country will be a true reliability. Now if you would please leave the castle, you would be doing us a favor."