Chapter 10

WIRT

Wirt stopped dead in his tracks when he reached a clearing in the woods, making Bill fall against him.

"Was that really necessary?!" Bill huffed, shoving himself away from Wirt's back.

Wirt's eyes were their many colors, once again, focused on a spot in the middle of the strange clearing... dead grass, no trees, all in a perfect circle in the middle of the woods.

Bill looked at Wirt from the side. "Soul man? Buddy? What're we looking at here?"

Wirt stood perfectly still, staring at the candle that was in the middle of the treeless spot.

"Wirt?"

"...He's messing with me." Wirt's voice was low and hard. "HE'S MESSING WITH ME!"

Wirt's whole body was shaking, a dark fog surrounded his body, making the trees behind him curl into themselves, making harsh crackling sounds. His eyes were going mad, flashing their rainbow hues at a brightness even Bill had to squint at.

Wirt picked up the candle, which he noticed now was burned down a quarter of the ways since the last time he saw it, and hurled it at a tree, then he collapsed on the ground. 

BILL

Bill walked over slowly to Wirt, then sat down after noticing his rainbow eyes had calmed down a bit.

"Did you really think we were going to find your brother...?" Bill asked slowly. "If the beast is as terrible as you describe, we're probably no where close to him."

Wirt shot Bill a look so full of anger and remorse, it made Bill look away.

"I heard him, you demon." Wirt spit out. "But the Beast... the Beast must have known I did. He tricked me before I could get anywhere close."

Wirt closed his eyes and breathed in and out heavily.

Bill sat next to Wirt silently.

WIRT

"What's going to happen, Bill..." Wirt exhaled, eyes still closed.

"What're you talking about?"

Wirt sat up and looked at Bill, his eyes brown again.

"What's going to happen if I find Greg, what will the Beast do? He'll obviously try to destroy me, or take me, whatever it is he has planned, and it'll work. I'm weak. If for whatever reason, I do win against him, what will I become?" Wirt pushed a hand through his hair.

Bill blinked at him.

Wirt didn't wait for any more of a response. "Will I go back to normal? What even is normal now? Being..." Wirt was tearing up. "Being this... this creature, it's felt right. What if this...has always been my fate? What if it was no accident Greg and I ended up in this place?"                                                            Wirt's words were becoming angry, choked up, sobs. 

BILL

Bill was surprised at Wirt. He never showed emotion. He was a cold, cruel creature.                              Then again, so am I.

"Wirt, buddy, I don't know what to tell ya..." Bill knew he was being awkward. He had never tried to comfort someone before.

Wirt didn't look like he was expecting much from Bill anyway. His eyes were focused on the ground, his eyes were narrowed but there were tears flowing down his cheeks.

Bill sighed. "Listen, I think you're overthinking this. How could you be meant for this place? How could this possibly be your fate? You and your brother..." Bill inhaled, being considerate and caring was exhausting. "You and your brother will be okay. You'll be safe. Especially now that I'm here."

Wirt rolled his eyes.

Bill took a deep breath.

How will I ever be able to handle talking to Pine tree... He stuck out his hand and placed it cold on Wirt's shoulder (he'd seen humans do this before, but he had no idea if he was doing it right).

Wirt's eyebrows slowly retracted a little, but still didn't look at Bill.

Bill bit his lip.

Wirt took a short, quick breath and shrugged off Bill's hand. "We should go", he said, standing up.

Bill blinked a few times, then stood up, too. He felt a bit flustered from touching another person for more than a few seconds...and out of compassion.

Wirt wiped off his cheeks with a finger and looked at Bill.                                                                          

"Thanks." The word was cold and hard, but Wirt's eyes were soft.

This was all new to Bill. Everything about it, the feelings, the caring.                                                                

He didn't know how to respond, so he nodded a few times.

That seemed to be enough for Wirt, as he turned and started walking forward. Bill followed after a second.