Chapter Ten

Later that night, Connor and I are dressed in all black, in front of a brick building a couple of miles from the city.  Connor had wanted to wear our super suits, but I had argued that they're a little too conspicuous.  

"This is where Emmett is being held?" I ask dubiously into my earpiece.

"Yup." Brett answers.  "Well, kinda.  You're gonna get to where Emmett is through the basement." 

Connor and I walk into the building and it looks like a normal apartment building, not like there's a secret underground lab entrance in the basement.  We walk into an elevator and I press the button that says 'B'.  The elevator descends, then stops.  The doors open, revealing some kind of boiler room.

"This isn't creepy at all." I say sarcastically.  "Where exactly are we going, Brett?"

"There should be some kind of a vent in the back.  You're gonna get to Emmett through there."  I search the back of the room until I finally find a vent that looks just big enough for us to fit through. 

"Found it!" I say.

"Cool." Brett says.  "I don't know exactly where Emmett is on the inside, so you guys will have to find him yourselves.  After this, I can't talk to you guys because they have some device that blocks the signal."

"Okay, thank Brett." 

"Good luck."

 Connor removes the cover from it using his powers, and we climb through it one at a time.  We find ourselves in a white hallway, and my mind immediately flashes back to when Alex kidnapped me a few weeks ago.  I can still almost feel the whip from when he tortured me.  I shiver.  

"You okay?" Connor asks me as we walk down the hallway.  I think about lying, like I usually do when people ask me that, but I decide not to.

"No." I whisper.  "What if he's not here?"

"If he isn't, then we'll figure out where he is."  he replies.  "He's gonna be okay."  I just nod my head.  We come to a door, and I open it.  There's a grey room with a desk in the middle of it.  I'm guessing it's some kind of office.  I walk over to the computer that's sitting on the desk.  Unfortunately, it requires a password to get in.

"You don't happen to know how to hack into a computer, do you?" I ask Connor.

"Nope." he answers.

"Dammit.  Any idea what the password could be?"  Connor shakes his head, so we start searching the desk.  

"Found something!" Connor exclaims after a couple of minutes.  He's holding a notebook and I look over his shoulder.  One thing that's written on it catches my eye: Subject possesses faster than normal healing abilities.  I know immediately that it's about Emmett.

"What did they do to him to figure that out?" I whisper, in horror.  

"He's gonna be okay." Connor avoids the question, repeating his words from earlier.  

"Is there anything about where he's being kept?" I ask, trying not to think about what they've done to him.  

"Room 107."  Connor reads from the notebook.  I quickly peek outside in the hallway to see what room we're in. 

"We're in room 104." I tell him.  "That means we're close!"  We walk out of the office and I find the room.  I take a deep breath before opening the door, afraid of what I might find.  I finally open the door and gasp.  Inside is another grey room, but this time it doesn't have any furniture.  Instead, Emmett is sitting against the wall, passed out in the corner.  His wrist is chained to the wall.  I run over to him.  "Emmett!" I whisper, gently patting his face, trying to wake him up.  "Baby? Can you here me?"  His skin is pale and feels hot, like he has a fever.  Finally, his eyes finally flutter open and widen when he sees me.

"Amy?" he says, his voice hoarse.  

"Yeah, it's me." I say, my eyes filling with tears of happiness. 

"You came." He smiles weakly.

"Of course I came." I say, laughing.  "Why wouldn't I?"  

"Thank you." he whispers, his eyes never leaving mine.  

"We need to get you out of here, you look like crap." I say, concerned.  "Connor, do you think you can heal him?"

"No, I don't think so." he answers, looking apologetic.  "I can only heal injuries, not illnesses."  I sigh.

"Then we have to get you out of here fast then."  I look at the chain holding him to the wall, suddenly having an idea.  I grab the chain on the end attached to the wall and make my hand become hot.  Finally, the metal melts.

"Nice." Connor compliments me and I smile proudly.  

"Do you think you can stand?" I ask Emmett.  He doesn't reply, just gets up from his spot on the floor.  When he first stands, he's unsteady, but then he catches his balance.  He immediately pulls me into a tight hug.  

"I'm so glad you're okay." I mumble into his chest.  He just kisses the top of my head.  "Let's get out of here." I say when he finally releases me.  We walk out of the room, and suddenly we're face-to-face with Ivy.

"Dammit." Connor says.

"Nice to see you guys again!" she says, a grin on her face.  I groan.  

"I'm really not in the mood for this."  I say, and throw fire at her.  It hits her in the chest, and she's thrown to the ground.  I tackle her, starting to punch her in the face.  I feel vines wrap around my arms, pulling me off of her.  I set the vines on fire and I'm released.  Ivy's getting up, but I electrocute her using my powers and she falls to the ground, motionless.  "That was easier than I expected."

"Why do I feel like that was too easy?" Connor asks.

"Because it was."  I spin around and find Alex behind us, with the same three men that had taken Emmett.  Connor has him pinned to the wall in two seconds.  I create a wall of fire, separating them from us.  

"Run!" I yell.  We run down the hallway towards where Connor and I had gotten in here.  We find the vent and Emmett climbs through first, then Connor.  As I'm climbing through, I feel somebody grab my ankle.  I scream, and Connor grabs my wrists, trying to pull me away from them.  I try kicking at their hands gripping my ankle, but they're successful in pulling me away from Connor.  I fall back through the opening in the wall, landing on my back.  Alex stands above me, grinning.

"Amy!" Emmett screams.

I throw fire at his chest and he's thrown to the ground.  I quickly crawl through the opening, creating another wall of fire behind me.   I collapse to the floor, trying to catch my breath.

"You okay?" Connor asks, crouching next to me.

"Wonderful." I answer sarcastically.  "I just fought against my psychotic ex-boyfriend and it was one of the only times that didn't end with me bleeding from a head wound.  I feel fantastic!"  Emmett laughs.

"Let's go home."