Chapter Three: Sweets and Sacrifice

Chapter Two

  Sweets and Sacrifice

  Life at the shrine continued on as usual without Shichiro present, Kumiko was more than capable of "handling" Rio. Rio meanwhile applied herself as best as she could to her studies. She wanted to learn how to control the presence of Ekirei, or at least to be able to talk to her. Everyone around her noticed her new found determination, even Naoki, who had been avoiding her like the plague since their last encounter.

  Suzu met with her every night to dance with her by the koi ponds, teaching her how to move the ways that Hoshiko-sensei wanted her to move. The two of them even practised on nights when the moon was concealed because Suzu said that a true dancer could feel her environment through her feet without having to worry about falling. And Suzu never fell. Rio felt a bit foolish, being so outclassed by an eight year old, but she was glad to have her company. Suzu was always on her side, regardless of Yuina's scorn, and even Naoki's dislike. Suzu never had a mean thing to say.

  Rio spent much of her time reading, it seemed to anyone watching her that she was attempting to absorb all of the knowledge in the Shrine library. She read at night, scroll after scroll until her candle had melted down to nothing more than a puddle. She wanted to learn, to prove Yuina and Naoki wrong, to prove herself wrong, she wanted to learn how to control the power inside of her that weighed upon her threatening to crush her underneath it.

  She went to bed while the sun was rising, and woke tired, zombie-like. She did everything expected of her and then some, but it was apparent to Suzu and Kasumi that she was beginning to fall apart.

  ~x~X~x~X~x~

  Rio stumbled back to her rooms by herself, Suzu had offered to accompany her, but she had turned her down. She She enjoyed the walk through the gardens, it allowed her a moments peace, some time to think without everyone bustling around her like a swarm of bees in the presence of their Queen. Everyone who attended her at Tsukishiro Shrine had been so excited at how well she was doing, that she didn't want to show even a moments weakness. She wondered what her father would think when he returned home from the capitol. Would he be proud of her? Would he maybe let her visit the village? Just for a little while?

  the sound of raised voices broke her from her thoughts.

  "...She's only eight you sick bastard!"

  The voice sounded like Naoki's, he was out of breath, and his voice was trembling with anger. Rio stopped mid-step, clutching a trembling hand to her chest. Should she go investigate? Or could Naoki handle it by himself? She shook her head, berating herself for being such a coward. "I should at least she what's going on," she whispered, both to herself and the leering presence of the Goddess who had settled herself behind Rio's eyes. Moving slowly and quietly she followed the sound of the voices. Sure enough, it was Naoki, and a Shrine Guard much bigger than him. Naoki was crouched into a battle stance, making his intentions clear.

  Rio's head raced, she was the Megami no Shimo Be, shouldn't she be able to do something about him? About this? If ever there was a time for Ekirei to pop out and handle a situation in would be now. Her whole body was shaking. She fought the urge to cover her face and hide. What had Naoki ever done for her anyway? He was always picking on her, always telling her she wasn't good enough?

  But wouldn't letting him get beat up again while she could prevent just prove him right?

  Gathering up what little courage she had, she lifted the hem of her robes over her feet and ran forwards