Bargaining

Author's Note: A quick reminder that Kurt, Santana, and Quinn are the protagonists of this story and I'm writing them as young adults, not children. They're devious, manipulative, and powerful. If that's not your cup of tea, or you believe that children are incapable of acting as such, please move along. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the chapter!

William Schuester led Albus Dumbledore into a well-appointed parlor, advised him that Mr. Hummel would be with him presently, and offered refreshment.

Dumbledore declined, took his seat, and waited, looking around the room with appreciation. The walls were a lovely sage and the mahogany floors gleamed to the extent that they reflected the furnishing, all of which were exquisite antiques. He looked longingly at the Queen Anne chair opposite him. The Turkish rugs scattered throughout the room looked freshly woven, though he knew they were quite old.

It was a grand room in a thoroughly bewitching home. He wondered how young Kurt had fared, being reared in such opulence. He could only hope the boy wasn't the American version of Draco Malfoy, a child whose reputation for being utterly spoiled preceded him.

Albus was startled out of his silent reverie by the gentle clearing of a throat.

"Good morning, Mr. Dumbledore," Kurt said politely. "I understand you wished to speak with me."

"Ah, Mr. Hummel!" the man exclaimed, rising to his feet.

His thoughts raced as he got his first look at this mysterious child.

He was at first confused by Kurt's appearance, for he looked nothing like James or Lily, quickly realizing the boy must have been blood-adopted by his surrogate parents. This was somewhat troubling, and it bothered him that he hadn't planned for this possibility.

He couldn't help but notice that Kurt Hummel was an absolutely beautiful boy, and it certainly wasn't difficult to imagine why that Sylvester woman referred to him as Alabaster. His skin looked like fine china. His hair was dark and glossy, like mink. It was the eyes, however, that were his most arresting feature, for they were of a color to which Dumbledore could ascribe no name.

Despite this, however, he was able to see some traces of the Potters. Kurt had Lily's almond-shaped eyes and the stubborn tilt of James's chin. The boy was also quite small, certainly undersize for his age, which also hallmarked his birth parents. Lily had been petite, and while James had been larger than life, he had also been the shortest of his friends.

"I'm very pleased to meet you," Albus finally said, "and I thank you for accommodating my request for an audience. You may address me as Headmaster Dumbledore."

Kurt arched a brow. "Forgive me, Mr. Dumbledore, but you are not my headmaster. How may I help you?"

Dumbledore deflated a bit, but kept a sunny smile on his face. He was slightly annoyed at the rebuff, but could not find fault with the lad's reasoning. The boy was also exceedingly polite. Still, Albus had the feeling that said politeness was somewhat forced, as though he were perturbed by this interruption. He nodded.

"Quite true, quite true, my boy," Albus said.

He faltered when Kurt's eyes narrowed at the address. Too late, Albus realized he was being entirely too familiar with the child.

"Again, thank you for seeing me, and I apologize if my unannounced visit has caused any upset."

Albus didn't mean his words, and it was obvious that Kurt was aware of it. Interesting.

Kurt smiled blandly. "I am happy to accommodate a wizard of you station, sir," he said, indicating with a wave of his hand that Albus should resume his seat as he took the one opposite. He feigned patience with Dumbledore's woolgathering and waited for the man to make his first parry.