Chapter Three

A sharp pain from my wrist caused me to wake from my sleep suddenly. I opened my eyes to see Marius biting into my wrist. I started to scream but he covered my mouth before I could even let out a sound. I tried to pull my hand away but this made the pain worse and caused a small gash on my wrist.

"Damn you!" Marius hissed, disappearing in the blink of an eye then reappearing almost as fast. I held my wrist against my chest, staining the front of my nightgown with dark red blood. He pulled my hand toward him and wrapped it tightly in bandages.

"Why were you biting me?!" I shouted, tears welling in my eyes. I sat up on my knees on the bed, looking him in the eye.

"Because you're mine and I can do whatever I want with you." he stretched his arms out and grabbed me, holding me against him tightly. His cold breath tickled my neck, but he was holding me so tightly I couldn't move. He gave my neck a small kiss that sent shivers up my spine.

”Good morning, love” he laughed.

His face was even more perfect up close. His freckles seemed to be spaced evenly all over his cheeks and across his nose. There were even specks of brown in his light green eyes.

”Good morning." I growled and he shook his head, "tell me more about my blood and its...qualities?" 

"You actually believed that?!" he chuckled, his body shaking us both from the laughter.

"So you were lying to me?" I tried to push myself away from him.

"Giselle," his voice took on a serious tone, "I will tell you when the time comes." he grinned softly and dropped his gaze to my lips as he slid a cool hand along the back of my neck, causing goosebumps to rise on my skin. Before anything else could happen the door creaked open and in walked a maid holding a candle.

”Oh my, so sorry to interrupt, Master, but you two have got a big day ahead.” she was blushing and looking at us uncomfortably. Marius let go of his gentle hold on my neck and let me slide out of bed, following behind me.

The maid noticed the blood on my nightgown, but did not question it. After removing my gown the maid helped me into a light white corset, which she tied much tighter than the one I was wearing last night. I winced with pain and gasped for air. she loosened it, but only a little and it was still hard to breathe. By the time she was done I was wearing a very poofy light green dress with soft white fabric. The long white chiffon sleeves of the dress showed off my shoulders, covering my arms as well as the bandage. I looked at my sickly skin tone. I was naturally quite tan but since peasants were never healthy it caused my tan to become very pale.

Marius walked in wearing a light green coat and white pants. He looked incredibly handsome, even more than he did last night.

”You look gorgeous.” he told me leaning against the counter as the maid did my hair in the reflection from the cheval glass. She brushed through it with ease since there were no longer mats and clumps of dead hair. She let my curls fall naturally down my back, stopping just below my waist. She wiped my teeth with a clean cloth vigorously and gave me some mint leaves to chew on, she did the same to Marius. When I asked why she did this she said it helped to clean our mouths.

After we were done getting pampered Marius led me down for breakfast. All the curtains were shut tightly and the castle was still lit by candles as if it was still night time.

”Why are all the curtains shut?” I asked him, attempting to sit down on all these large petticoats.

”Sunlight has very negative effects on vampires. It cause our skin to boil and blister and can kill us if we are exposed to it for more than an hour.” he explained to me as our food was placed in front of us. It looked delicious and I quickly ate as much as I could, being careful to keep my dress clean.