14 - Unexpected Visitors

Start from the beginning

I groaned and fell to my knees, shaking my head and trying to clear it.

Sam heard and dropped beside me, "Justin! What's wrong!?" He looked frantic.

"Ugh, I ... I don't know," I managed, "my head hurts."

Bryan cursed and we all looked at him.

"It's the rogues," he said, "their alpha must know one of the seven calls of power."

My head had cleared slightly and I turned to Sam. To my surprise, he looked at his dad in bewilderment.

"The what?" he asked.

Bryan looked grim, "The seven calls of power," he repeated, "They each have a different effect on their target. For example, I think the one that was being used on Justin was the call of pain. There's also light, darkness, protection, destruction, healing, and death."

I saw Sam's eyes widen and then gasped as another wave of pain rocked my body.

"Okay, here's what we're going to do," Bryan said, "I'm going to use the call of protection on Justin. Then I want you two to shift and come with me while we gather everyone who can fight. Justin, I need you to go and warn any Phoenix pack member that isn't  old enough to fight to stay safe and hidden, tell the older kids to look after the younger ones."

I nodded and he shifted, padding up to me. A deep growl bubbled up from his throat but it sounded different from the snarling coming from outside. It seemed, softer somehow. Instantly, I felt the pain leave me and I sat up.

"Stay safe," Sam whispered, hugging me.

I hugged him back, "You too."

We broke apart and I watched as he and Katie shifted.

They left and I looked after them in determination. Let's do this, I thought and left the room to sound the alarm.

                                  «»  

SAM

My dad, Katie and I ran through the house, calling the older wolves on the mind link. By the time we had reached the front door, our numbers had risen to about fifty. My mom joined us at the front as my dad turned around and explained the problem.

There was no plan of attack this time. We were just going to run out into the pack of rogues, trying to draw them away from the house.

All of a sudden it was time, and we busted through the door, scattering the rogues as we took them by surprise.

The ground was instantly covered in blood, mixing with the mud. Lightning flashed and I caught a glimpse of the rogue wolves all around us.

There were hundreds, maybe thousands. To say that we had underestimated their numbers would be the understatement of the century.

I shook my head and kept running, the rest of our pack following. We broke away from the circle and turned east, my dad telling everyone to head for the school.

When I saw the big stone building looming up out of the darkness, I sped up, urging everyone else to do so as well. We slammed through the door and skidded to a stop. My dad and I shifted and barricaded it, others following our example and doing so for the rest of the doors in the school. We reconvened in the gym, everyone shifting.

"Sam, try to get a hold of Justin. Tell him the situation and see how he's doing." my dad said.

I nodded and called out to Justin, 'Justin, I need you to listen to me,' I said, not sure if he could hear me or not but pressing on anyway, 'I need you to concentrate and try to talk back. Just picture yourself throwing your thoughts at me.' I instructed.