9: Cold Shoulder

James was giving Nadine the silent treatment.

They've been shooting in San Francisco for 5 days now, and Nadine felt like she was always on the verge of crying. She wasn't used to this cold, non-smiling, non-tickling James. This removes-arm-on-her-shoulder-and-pulls-away-after-director-yells-cut James.

They were on break while the crew was setting up the lights for the next scene. They were once again at the Palace of Fine Arts, where Nadine originally proposed to Clark for their fake wedding. She was sitting on the bench alone, because James was avoiding her, and because she wasn't really in the mood to talk to anyone.

After the press conference, Boss Vic himself had called her with specific instructions...

"Good morning, Nadine."

"Good evening, Boss Vic."

"Let me get straight to the point. I don't know why James said what he did at the presscon. I heard what you said, too, Nadine, though it seems no one else did. Whatever the reason, wag na wag niyong babawiin ang sinabi niyo."

"Boss...?" she stammered.

"Nadine, I can't have my most bankable stars look like confused idiots who don't know what they want. Just act like you normally do, people already assumed you were together before all this anyway."

"But boss, I don't think James really likes me right now."

Boss Vic scoffed. "Artista kayo. Pretend. I'll call James right after this."

She wrapped the blanket more tightly around herself and looked over to where James was talking to Ate Caryl. Despite what Boss Vic said, they weren't able to go back to their normal selves, like how they were before all this happened. James hasn't been making faces. He hasn't been teasing her. And definitely no tickling. More than anything, she missed the tickling.

She saw James glance her way then quickly look away. Her heart sank.

A part of her wanted to take back her words and beg him to take her back. But another part of her was warning her that she wasn't ready for this.

Everything that happened since New Year was so sudden, she didn't have time to think. But that single Instagram picture suddenly reminded her of who exactly James Reid was. She believed he didn't cheat on her that night, sure, but she knew all about his exploits, his women, his lifestyle. She knew because James tells her. Not to brag to her, but to keep her in the loop on what issue might come out. It kept them both ahead of the game, so that they could easily shrug off malicious questions whenever they were cornered. Same goes for her. She kept nothing from James.

But he said he loves you, Nadine.

The thought made her shiver underneath her blanket. She didn't expect the declaration. Not at all. The events in Sacramento... when they almost had sex, when James told her he won't deny his feelings anymore, their perfect day together before everything went downhill... Her heart was telling her that this was a different James, that he was serious, but her mind refused to believe it.

Because she knew James. He was more of the think now, act later kinda guy. He could have all these strong feelings for her now, but who's to say he'll still have them tomorrow? She knew how fickle James was and how he gets bored easily. He even broke up with Ericka because "I just woke up one day and realized I don't love her anymore." How can you trust your heart to someone like that?

She, on the other hand, was not a risk taker. She makes sure all bases are covered before acting on something. She had set quite high standards for herself, especially in love... James didn't really meet those standards. Not right now anyway.

It was really simple. Did she love him? Yes. Was she willing to fight for it? No.

Why can't we just go back to how we were before? She sighed and answered her own question in her head. Because James is right. We can't go back now.

Pandora's box has been opened. They've already taken the next step --almost 2 years of pent up longing and sexual tension have finally been released -- that going back now seemed laughable.

She saw Direk Tonette waving at her, indicating that it was time for take, shaking her out of her reverie.

In all her kadramahan, she forgot.

This was a kissing scene.

***

The scene called for an argument, with Leah walking out and Clark belatedly running after her, turning her around, then kissing her senseless. In the rain.

Everything had to be timed perfectly. They were filming first the argument scene, then they will go straight to the kissing scene, no cuts. 2-hog, as they call it, meaning 2 scenes in one take. The rain will pour right after Leah walks out. Of course.

The scene takes place several years after Clark and Leah's wedding in Manila didn't push through. They see each other again in San Francisco, both older and wiser, both still pining for each other but both afraid to try again.

Nadine took a deep breath.

"Clark, sabi mo aantayin mo ko! Sabi mo mag-aantay ka hanggang ready na ko! Pero bigla kang nawala!

"Because you hurt me too much when you broke up with me! I gave you everything and for what? You chose your career over me, Leah."

Nadine winced inwardly. Everything was hitting too close to home.

James stepped closer and Nadine's breath hitched. He took her hand.

"If I stayed there, nabaliw siguro ako. Susundan siguro kita araw araw. But I knew that wasn't what you wanted. So I left."

Nadine started crying.

"Mahal kita, Clark, hindi nagbago yun. Pero natatakot ako... Na baka mangyari ulit yung nangyari dati. Please, Clark, hayaan mo muna ako."

She pulled her hand away and walked out, leaving James staring after her, as required by the script. Rain started pouring as she sobbed, her heart wrenching.

Great. Just great.

She didn't even know anymore what she was crying about.

James suddenly grabbed her shoulders and turned her around, cupping her face before kissing her roughly. She kissed back, enjoying feeling his lips once again on hers. She barely registered the cameras that were going in circles around them, taking that 360 angled shot. He hoisted her up by the waist, deepening the kiss. Their tongues tangled together, dancing, feeling. 

"Cut!" Direk Tonette said.

James slowly put her down and they stared at each other, breathing heavily.

"Ang ganda! Perfect! Pero kailangan ko pa ng ibang angle sa kiss. Kuya Rovic, sa kabilang side ka naman o."

James averted his gaze and the magic was gone.

They did 5 more takes, this time without tongue, as directed.

It was getting colder and colder and Nadine noticed that James was breathing a little faster after each take, catching his breath by taking deep, wrenching gulps of air.

By the last take, he had a hand to his chest, the other on his knee as he bent down to try and recover his breathing, his face ashen. Nadine knew what was happening. She's seen him like this before.

James was having an asthma attack.

"Direk! Kailangan pumunta ni James sa ospital! Inaatake siya!" Nadine yelled, before putting her arm around James and guiding him to their rented van.

A/N: Guys haka-haka ko lang tong OTWOL story, okay? I don't know what's gonna happen for real. I've seen the pics so nag-assume lang ako.

Thank you for reading!