O N E

There are certain songs that come on the radio and make me want to jump in the car and head across the Land of the Free.

I don't remember what brought me on the road. I only know I needed to get out of that house, get out and breathe in some fresh air. So I grabbed the keys, jumped into the car and just went off.

I had no idea where I was going and when would I stop. All I wanted to do at the point was just to keep moving. Move and not think.

I can't remember how long I must have driven. One hour, two hours, five hours, ten hours. It's just seemed like an endless road. A road with no destination. I could have just continued driving like that forever.

But reality pulled me back. Could I really escape? Could I really let go? Forget about the years together? Ignore the existence my family?

I couldn't.

So all I could do is to give up and drive back, back to the house I ran away from. And to forget that this road trip even happened at all.

But I didn't know life wasn't as simply as I hoped.

My head knocked against the window as the seat belt dug into my neck and underarm. My foot searched for the brakes before finding it and pushing it down with all my might. No! It was the gas. Helping the car spin was never the intention, so I move my foot to the left to find nothing there. I looked down, though my body sent pain through my head as refusal, and saw it wasn't there. Not only was the break non extent, the entire part and inch before the gas pedal seemed as if it was munched by a bear before spitting it out with blood.

I didn't know life wasn't as simply as I hoped. Unaware that everyone knew I left already and were going to wait till early morning for my return, that they knew they shouldn't have said those things, I decided to return on my own. Unfortunately for me, I had never taken into account that my impatience to get home would result in me disregarding the ice sheets on the way home.

Blood. It was probably mine as I saw a bone sticking out of my leg as it tore through the jeans I wore. Who- what did I hit? "Gya!" My face contorted in pain as I tried to move. I felt as if I was flying though the air. Maybe hitting a few birds and mountains in the way but having an stubborn personality the car rolled as if nothing was in its way before slowly settling down after it couldn't over come a tree.

I, having no way to look away, or probably I did have a way but at that moment nothing came to mind, as the grass swayed by the fast wind. Glass staying with it to enjoy the cold weather. Then a tree came. A pang resounded before it broke through the poor excuse of "latest model" but it didn't. With a creak and a sudden jerk, the metal gave out and cut my forehead coming towards me. The tree soon followed before I felt my brain give me an excruciating headache while the tree suppressed my every movement that wasn't blocked by the pain.

The ringing in my ear hasn't stopped but the sparks of flames seemed unmistakable to my ears along with the shattered glass that still fell from the windows. Like a dragon that had woken up, I heard the fire roar and flicker, fighting with sparks in the sky that resembled the fireworks of America's birthday. It seemed as sly as a snake as it moved around its obstacles or crawled over them. Intimating the ring of fire itself.

Before long, the fire covered me from head to toe as a snake devouring it's prey and keeping it in its stomachs until fully digested. I couldn't scream nor asking for help on someone who may or may not be passing me.

Slowly the numbness dims down from the pain before it disappears without a trace and the stinging sensation of the burning flesh practically runs to me and my nose. As if that awoke something I began to scream. Not for help though I did try but scream of pain, my throat hurt and I couldn't breath. Gasping for air almost imitating a fish I felt the need to laugh at my stupidity.

Of course I tried to laugh with my fractured lungs or maybe my throat was torn but it came out more of a pitiful moan.

From my crazy gurgle, I kept choking before I decided to cough. A warm liquid rushes up from my lips, hitting my eye, sealing me from the light and entering me into darkness.