“Luke, calm down. I’m not talking to you until you do.” I said softly and calmly. Any other girl witnessing him in such a vulnerable state probably would’ve ran out the door in an instant, leaving Luke in his own state and messy mind.

He looked to me shocked for a few seconds but the anger and redness of his face weren’t budging.

He moved away from me and raised his arm, looking as if he was about to punch the wall. Taking a giant risk, I stood straight between him and the wall. I grabbed his raised arm with both my hands, rubbing my right thumb against his wrist. 

“Calm down Luke, It’s okay.” I soothed.

“Luke, calm down” I whispered.

Suddenly, realization seemed to hit him like a thousand bricks. He looked down to me with shock.

“Daniella, I’m so sorry” he whispered, his voice hoarse and a centimeter away from breaking into a million pieces.

His eyes cloudy, about to shred tears. 

“Come here Luke, it’s okay” I soothed, opening my arms. That was it.

His tears started falling like an endless winter storm, that was waiting for the perfect chance to break down and pour down.

He wrapped his arms around me and leaned his head against mine, tears saturating my hair. I soothingly rubbed his back.

It was no surprise he was going to breakdown sooner or later. After years having built up this reputation of his, afraid to show any real emotions to anybody except for anger and frustration, afraid is what he was. Afraid to have this reputation of his broken down after being built up so high. Years of these real emotions being built up inside of him. He felt like a full glass of water. He felt as if the water was about to ooze over the top and pour down the sides. But when someone decided to take a sip of the water, he was empty.

But now, somebody was seeing deeper into his life, into his situation, and they wanted to help. That someone was me. I wasn’t afraid to witness his meltdowns and frustrations. I wasn’t afraid to see beyond the blonde boy who got drunk at parties. 

I wasn’t here for a root, I was here to stay.

I continued to rub his back softly and whisper soothing words into his ear until his sobs gradually slowed down. I kissed his cheek, lingering my lips there for a while before pulling away from the embrace and looking into his guilty, embarrassed, sad blue eyes. Moist tears on his cheeks and his hair sticking in all different directions. He looked back into my brown ones. His lips plump and swollen.

I wiped away his stray tears with my thumb, kissing a few on his cheek, before focusing my eyes back on his.

He looked at me with an expression I could not read.

“I..” he mumbled. “mmm?” I asked, confused.

“I’m sorry” he whispered, voice barely audible.

“Don’t be. You have nothing to be sorry for, Luke” I smiled.

“I do. I’m the one who’s supposed to be comforting you when you cry. You’re probably thinking how much of a freak I am. I’m sorry.” he sighed, bottom lip shaking.

“Hey, hey. Don’t be sorry. That’s so stereo-typical Luke. You’re just broken, that’s all. You’ve held this in for too long, and I’m going to be the one to mend you. Okay?” I smiled.

“Thank you” he grinned, hugging me.

I hugged back, smiling.

As I pulled away from the embrace I noticed his acoustic guitar in the corner.