10: Back From Italy

Bella was gone for three days. It was a lonely three days, with Jacob out on patrol most nights, and dad over at the Clearwater's. I couldn't bring myself to go there. It hurt too much.

She came back with the person I least expected to see.

Cullen.

He looked fine, but there was a difference in his attitude towards Bella. When he looked at her, it wasn't like he was looking at a meal anymore. When he looked at her, I saw an emotion I'd never seen in him.

Love.

Bella walked into my house shortly after her return, absolutely giddy with joy. I sat her down and told her to spill the freaking beans! Why the heck was Cullen back? No, I'm not going to call him Edward. So get over it.

She started into her story

*Bella's Flashback*

The plane ride felt like an eternity. I mostly slept. Well, tried to sleep. How could I? The love of my life was about to commit suicide!

Anyway, we arrived in Italy shortly. Alice decided to play grand-theft auto:Italy, to which I reluctantly agreed. Nothing would get me to him fats enough, not even the bright red Ferrari Alice as cyrrently hot-wiring.

My heart pounded in my head as Alice sped down the Italian roadway, paying no attention to the speed limit sign.

"When's he going to do it Alice?" I asked shakily. She sighed, and then her face went blank. Another vision.

"Oh no." She breathed. My hands were gripping the dash so hard, I was surprised my fingernails weren't stuck when I pulled them back. I didn't speak, waiting for her to pour more bad news on my already drowning heart.

"They refused him." She breathed shakily. My heart fluttered in my chest, but only for a moment. She sped up slightly, bringing our speed up to 110mph.

"S-so...what does that mean. Exactly?" She stared straight ahead, not looking at me. "Alice!" I said a bit louder, making her gance towards me slightly.

"Noon. He's doing it at noon." My breath quickened.

"Alice, we have to hurry." I said more to myself then to her, because I'm sure she was aware.

We reached Volterra within the next ten minutes, racing to th front gates.

Alice stopped the car, and I began opening my door, when I noticed Alice wasn't following.

"Alice!" I screeched, but she waved me off. "He'll see me coming. You have to go." My mind began to race. Me, save Edward? Without Alice? I slammed my door shut, then realized I had no idea where I was going.

"Where is he?" I asked, and she rolled her window down.

"He'll be under the clock tower! Hurry!"

I took off. The souls of my converse slides pounded the pavement, sending shots of adrenaline up my legs. I weaved speedily through crowds of red robed people. Alice had informed me that it was some kind of holiday, but I wasn't paying a lick of attention.

The clock tower came into view, but there was a fountain in my way. And then the innevitable happened.

The clock struck twelve.

The low bongs reverberated through the city, sending me into a state of panic. I lept into the fountain, soaking the lower half of my body, but I didn't slow. I was running out of time.

I could see Edward's pale form, making its' way towards the stpo. Seeing him was like a punch in the face, but I ignored it. This wasn't the time for my depression to kick in.