09: The Cliff

It was the Saturday after the movies, and I was driving to the Rez. I bobbed my head to the tune of the top 20 countdown on the local country station.

I know you're probably confused about the whole country thing, so I'll explain. My dad grew up in North Carolina, so he raised me the same way. Minus the farm and the actual south. Though, we did have chickens for a while at one point. Then mom got killed, and the chickens became just another memory.

The music was so loud, my phone and all the other items on the dash pulsated, jumping in the air with every bass beat. Just the way I liked it. I was nearing La Push now, making my way onto the bridge that connected Forks and The Rez.

Suddenly, I caught sight of something out odf the corner of my eye. It looked like a girl, Standing on one of the higher cliffs bordering the beach.

I decided to pull off the road and check it out. It was windy, and the sky was a murky grey. My heart started to pound, as I squinted to see who it was. It looked sort of like....Bella. But it couldn't be!

And then she jumped.

My heart dropped into my gut.

I slammed my truck door shut and sprinted into thje woods, not bothering to lower the volume of the radio.The cliff was less than a mile away, and I gor there in no time. My cross country training sure had paid off. Sure enough, at the cliff's edge, sat the backpack of Bella Swan.

I weighed my options. Diving off the cliff would mean having to brave the swirling torrent below, and the possibility of being slammed into the cliff base. But swimming out to Bella would cost valuable time, time that I didn't have.

Deciding to go to the beach, I tore through the woods as fast as my scrawny legs could carry me. The run was downhill, but it felt like it was taking an eternity to get out of those woods.

I plunged into the frigid water. I was halfway out to where Bella'd fallen, when I saw a flash of brilliant red. I looked back to where I'd seen it, but saw only the icy grey waves in it's place. I shrugged it off, and continued my impossible swim.

Bella was sinking fast. I managed to pull her upby her arm, hoisting her onto my back, so she could breathe. The swim back was ten times as difficult, with Bella's lifeless form weighing me down.

I dragged her onto the beach, and began pumping her chest. It was useless, she still wasn't breathing. And then a miracle happened.

Jacob ran up.

"Oh thank God!" I yelled to him. "She isn't breathing!" He began pumping her chest, significantly harder than I ever could. "Don't worry baby, she's gonna be fine. We're talking about Bella here. She's tough, if nothing else." He yelled back, forgetting I was beside him. He breathed into her mouth, pumping.

Breathing.

Pumping.

Breathing.

Pumping.

After about five minutes, she coughed up some sea water. I sat her up and patted her back. "What the heck were you thinking, Bella!?!?!?" I screeched when she was aware of what had happened. She wrapped her arms around herself, her lips trembling and blue. "It was the only way I could see him." She sputtered. I rolled my eyes. She'd told me before how she saw Edward when she was doing something dangerous.

"Come on. Let's get you to my truck." I said. I was starting to shiver as well.

________________________________________________________________________________

We pulled up to Bella's house in about ten minutes. The ride there had been painfully silent, and as much as I hate to admit it, I was ready for her to leave so I could talk to Jacob about what I'd seen in the water.