6. Random People and Matipulations

Leia's POV:
When I wake up it's late in the morning. I come out of the room and start walking to the kitchen. I see Mother in her night dress, with her long curls falling like a waterfall on her back. She looks worried. Her worried look changes into a smile when she sees me.
"Hi, Luce. How did you sleep?"
I smile as well.
"Good, thanks. How about you?"
She sighs.
"Good. Once Anakin fell asleep again" she adds.
I sit in a chair next to my mother.
"Why is he so worried?"
She sits as well.
"He hasn't had nightmares since... since his mother died. Just before she died, Anakin started to have nightmares of his mother suffering" she explains.
I place a hand on my opened mouth.
"Oh..." is the only thing I get to say.
"He tried to save her" Padmé keeps telling me "but when he got where his mother was it was too late. Ani's mother died in his arms"
"But she was dying of a natural cause or...?" I ask.
Padmé shakes her head.
"No. Sandpeople got her and kept her prisoner in their camp" she admits.
I furrow my eyebrow.
"Don't you think it's a bit... strange that sandpeople rapted Anakin's mother and kept her? I mean, if they wanted to kill her, they could've killed her when they got her in the first place. Why waiting?"
Mother nods silently.
"I understand what you're trying to say. Maybe... someone wanted Shmi to suffer..."
"So Anakin could feel it" I end up the sentence.
"This is something big we're talking about, Luce... we're saying someone wanted Anakin to suffer. But who?" She wonders, more to herself than to me.
"I don't think a random person can do this" I point out. "I think this someone is a powerful one, and has a reason to make Anakin suffer"
Padmé sighs in frustration.
"But why would anyone want to hurt Anakin pshycologically?"
I sigh as well. I think I know who and why, but it's too early to expose my worries to Padmé.
"I don't know. But keep your eyes open, Padmé. Maybe this person is nearer Anakin than we think"

Anakin's POV:
"Chancellor Palpatine" I say when I get into this man's office.
"Anakin" he smiles when I come in. "Come in, my friend. I need your help"
I furrow my eyebrow.
"For what? I don't understand"
He clears his throat.
"I need you to be the eyes, the ears and the voice of the Republic" he says solemnly.
"Oh... I am flattered, Chancellor... but I don't think the Council will aproove" I say. I would love to do that, but I'd rather have my feet on the ground. Just in case they don't let me.
"They will, Anakin" the Chancellor smirks "They need you. More than you know"
I smirk as well. He is right. They need me.

~¤~

Just as I reach home, I hear laughter. One of them is clearly Padmé's.
"So, there I was, with this farm boy who turned out to be my brother and this nerfherder who later would be my boyfriend" I hear Luce telling her.
I get to them.
"Hello ladies" I smile. I come closer to Padmé and caress her bump. "How are you feeling?"
She smiles.
"I'm perfect. I couldn't be better"
"And what about you, Luce?" I turn to her "How are you?"
She smiles too.
"Great, thanks, Anakin"
I sit.
"What were you two talking about?"
"Oh, Luce is telling me some of her stories with her brother and with her boyfriend" Padmé explains.
I raise my eyebrow.
"You've got a boyfriend, Luce?" I ask.
She nods with a smile.
"Surprised?"
I smirk.
"Of course not" I remember something, so I open my eyes widely "Oh, you won't know what has happened!"
Padmé and Luce furrow her eyebrows at the same time.
"Something good, I hope" Padmé says.
I nod.
"The Chancellor wants me to be his representative in the Jedi Council"
Padmé and Luce share a look.
I wonder what they're thinking about