Chapter 1: The Commercial

"I'm sweet." The country superstar Candy Dane said as she took a measuring cup and scooped some sugar and dropped it into a cup of liquid.

"And I'm sour." The Black superstar R&B Singer, Benny Kelly said as he looked at Candy and squeezed some lemon into the cup.

"Together we make perfect music." They said together.

Then Candy began playing her guitar as her and Benny sang, "Lomack Lemonade."

"Cut." The director yelled.

Candy rolled her eyes at Benny and said to the director, "He messed it up again."

"Candy, Why don't you talk to me." Benny emphasized the word Candy.

"OK, Benny...Why can't you get one line right?" she twanged with her hard southern accent.

Benny angrily said, "I don't usually sing Hillbilly music."

The director smiled and said, "That actually was perfect. And when the two of you guys sang together it was like magic."

"Whatever..." Candy said as she walked off on her way to her room.

Benny saw his manager, a tall black man who could talk anybody into anything named Darryl Buchanan. Darryl was talking to the producer who seemed very happy.

Benny walked over to the two.

"I don't know how it works, but it works. I am going to tell Lomack to get you two to do the ice t commercial and maybe a few others." The producer said.

"And I am going to try to talk to her people so that we can get a song out of this." Darryl said.

"No...hold up...I ain't wanting to sing that...I can barely understand her with that twang."

"You do know that she is the biggest..." Darryl began to say.

"Country Star...yeah I know." Benny interrupted."

"No...Biggest star in the music business."

"Negro, I told you to get me some duets that could advance my career..."

"This will advance your career..."

"Yeah, if I wanted to sing in honky tonks in Nashville. No man...What part of No do you not understand?"

"Brother, you ain't had a hit in a while and the Hip Hop artists ain't touching you so..."

"Maybe they ain't touching me because your ass is trying to put a damn cowboy hat on my head."

"Benny..."

"No let me finish. What the hell you think this is gonna do? All it will do is kill my career and give Candy street cred to go win Black awards."

"Are you finished..." Darryl said as he glared at Benny.

"Yeah, I'm finished."

Darryl then turned to the producer and said, "Play the commercial."

The commercial started. Benny and Candy sang a brief excerpt to begin. Their voices blended very well. Then they did the sugar and lemon routine before ending again.

"It does sound good."

"And it looks good too." The producer said.

"Yeah, well...about my fans cause..."

"And what about my fans. Do they really want to see me singing with you?" Candy said from behind.

Benny looked back and said, "I didn't know you were there."

Candy's manager Mary,a her manager who appeared to be a non nonsense white woman in her forties was with her. Mary said, "I have had just about enough from you two. The commercial is amazing and you two will do another one..."

"Now hold up..." Benny said...

Darryl turned to Benny and said, "Shut up, the lady is talking."

Benny crossed his hands and got quiet.

"Thank you...Now you two are going to do another commercial...AND...you two are going to do at least a single. Because Benny, you need this to get back on the map...and Candy...you need this to expand your reach..." Mary continued.

"Are you done yet?" Benny said.

"She is, but I ain't." Darryl said.

"Ok, what do you have to say?"

"We've already worked out the deal. One song at her studio and one song at yours. We will take the best song and go from there."

"Do I have a say in this?" Candy asked her manager.

"You always have a say, but your record company is not going to release another one of your singles until you release this one. The label is really looking forward to this."

"So yall done already set it all up I see." Benny said.

"It's for your own good man." Darryl said.

A white man walked into the room and kissed Candy and then said, "Did I miss anything?"

Candy said in an irritated tone, "Steve, you missed the whole session."

"Sorry Babe." He said.

Mary rolled her eyes.

The man looked over at Mary and said, "Good to see you Mary."

Mary looked back and said, "I wish I could say the same..."

Then he yelled, "Benny Kelly." As he tried to sing one of Benny's earlier hits.

He ran over and shook Benny's hand.

"And who are you?"

"I'm Candy's fiance, Steve. But I love your music. I ain't really into the country thang, I like my music to be more from the streets." Steve said.

"Uh huh." Benny said as he looked over at Candy.

I grew up listening to country. Whether it was Ray Charles or even Gladys Knight singing help me make it through the night."

In fact, I can't wait to see what your fiance and I can come up with to add to the canon of great country songs sang by R&B Artists.

Steve looked at bit like the wind was taken out of his sails and said, "Well I am glad to meet you."

He then turned around and said, "So is the session over?"

"I think it is..." Darryl said.

"And Mary, we will be in touch." Darryl said to Mary as she smiled and left with Candy.