In the World War

IN THE WORLD WAR ***

Produced by Jeannie Howse, Thierry Alberto, Henry Craig and the Online Distributed Proofreading Team at http://www.pgdp.net (This file was produced from images generously made available by The Internet Archive)

* * * * *

+--------------------------------------------------------------+ | Transcriber's Note: | | | | A number of obvious typographical errors have been corrected | | in this text. For a complete list, please see the bottom of | | this document. | | | +--------------------------------------------------------------+

* * * * *

[Illustration: COUNT CZERNIN]

* * * * *

IN THE WORLD WAR

BY COUNT OTTOKAR CZERNIN

_WITH FOUR PLATES_

CASSELL AND COMPANY, LTD London, New York, Toronto and Melbourne

Copyright in Great Britain.

PREFACE

It is impossible in a small volume to write the history of the World War in even a partially exhaustive manner. Nor is that the object of this book.

Rather than to deal with generalities, its purpose is to describe separate events of which I had intimate knowledge, and individuals with whom I came into close contact and could, therefore, observe closely; in fact, to furnish a series of snapshots of the great drama.

By this means the following pages may possibly present a conception of the war as a whole, which may, nevertheless, differ in many respects from the hitherto recorded, and possibly faulty, history of the war.

Everyone regards people and events from his own point of view; it is inevitable. In my book, I speak of men with whom I was in close touch; of others who crossed my path without leaving any personal impression on me; and finally, of men with whom I was often in grave dispute. I endeavour to judge of them all in objective fashion, but I have to describe people and things as I saw them. Wherever the description appears to be at fault, the reason will not be due to a prematurely formed opinion, but rather, probably, to a prevailing lack of the capacity for judging.

Not everything could be revealed. Much was not explained, although it could have been. Too short a period still separates us from those events to justify the lifting of the veil from all that happened.

But what remains unspoken can in no way change the whole picture, which I describe exactly as imprinted on my mind.

OTTOKAR CZERNIN.

CONTENTS

CHAPTER PAGE

1. INTRODUCTORY REFLECTIONS 1

2. KONOPISCHT 34

3. WILLIAM II 52

4. ROUMANIA 77

5. THE U-BOAT WARFARE 114

6. ATTEMPTS AT PEACE 134

7. WILSON 188

8. IMPRESSIONS AND REFLECTIONS 195

9. POLAND 200

10. BREST-LITOVSK 211

11. THE PEACE OF BUCHAREST 258

12. FINAL REFLECTIONS 271

APPENDIX 275

LIST OF PLATES

COUNT CZERNIN _Frontispiece_

FACING PAGE